C4 Forums | Control4

AV Component Placement in Racks

I'm building a new AV rack with all new gear and would like to know, what's your preference on equipment placement in your racks. I've seen a ton of pictures online and in the stores, but there doesn't seem to be a lot of consistency, with the exception of the surge/power conditioner, which typically is at the bottom of the rack.

Oh and if you have pics of your AV racks, feel free to show them off. Thanks.

Scott

What's in the top of the right rack. Looks like blank plates. Can't you put the NAS there. Sent from my LT26i using Tapatalk

Switches, network cabling and 10G shielded patch panels (Cat6A STP) and VOIP etc. No room left unfortunately ;)

post-125439-0-91807400-1405224765_thumb.

qVAMPIREp, whoever did your wiring did a stand up job.

I can post a picture of my racks if you feel it would be beneficial (would need to go take the pictures) but I'm with these guys. Weight at the bottom (UPS, AVR(s), amplifiers, etc...) and devices you interact with such as a Bluray player or have console, about chest height.

Sure Dan, if you get a chance that would be great. The more examples to look at the better. Plus I may see some additional av components I could add. For example, in qVAMPIREp's rack (which is incredible looking) I see several mid atlantic power supply hubs (can't tell what modles though). My previous dealer just velcroed a cheap power strip to my media controller and pluged stuff to that. Also, for my touch panels I have old POE injectors,each with its own power cord, so a power supply around the middle of the rack and a nice 8 or even a 16 port POE switch would be great since I'm going to have more POE devices in the rack.

Scott

OMG!!! From my wife giving me hell for trashing the first floor of our house with AV components and parts, to my 3 year old daughter wanting to desperately help her dad. Every time I turn around I have a tool, piece, part, walk off with my daughter...AHHHHHH!!!!

So, I have all the wires and cables managed and the first thing I have at the bottom is my Panamax M5300-EX power conditioner. Would you put your 16 channel C4 amp next at the bottom or your AV network receiver? Just trying to see what makes sence next in relation to weight and heat.

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

Any thoughts on having either the C4 16 channel amp or the AV receiver at the bottom. Right now I have the following layout from bottom to top:

Panamax power conditioner

Control4 16 Channel Amp

1RU space

AV receiver

1RU space

C4 Wireless music bridge / BR player / Roku 3 player

C4 HC800

Verizon router / C4 router / 4 port switch / power strip

POE injectors at the very top

I'm not sure I like the look of the amp below the receiver... But wire management is much nicer with all the speaker wires at the bottom and not in the way of anything going to the receiver.

Anyway, just brain storming.

Thanks.

Scott

I'll see it just about everyday, but I will say the wiring layout is cleaner with the amp's speaker wires at the bottom and not in the way of other components. If I had the amp above the receiver, then I would have HDMI, audio, IR, Ethernet,etc. wiring passing the amp to go to the receiver from the sources and controller, switches in the above rack locations. Hmmm,, now that I'm talking this through, I think I'm liking the amp at the bottom for good cable management. HA! :D

• 3 weeks later...

Well the rack is coming along. I'll have my nw receivers tomorrow and the new switch on Friday... thanks Black Wire Designs for the new fan mod. I hope it's az quiet as you say it is. Anyway, based on feedback from you guys here's the rack thus far:post-122532-0-09572600-1409019874_thumb.

Again, it's a work in progress. I have an old xbox as a place saver for either a PS4 or Xbox One (any recommendations). Once I get the new switch I'll need to move things down as the switch will go under the furman power unit. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Scott

• 2 years later...

Archived