C4 Forums | Control4

Media Controller and Stored Music

csmpez

The media controller was removed from the network-project and I forgot about all the music on it. I plugged it back in, powered it up and it shows it's no longer assigned to the network. Figure there was a way to get to the controller's hard drive files.

So if I connect it to my router, power it up and it gets assigned an IP address, I should be able to log into the IP address and get to the sun folders?

I'm trashing the controller once I get the music off it.

The media controller was removed from the network-project and I forgot about all the music on it. I plugged it back in, powered it up and it shows it's no longer assigned to the network. Figure there was a way to get to the controller's hard drive files.

So if I connect it to my router, power it up and it gets assigned an IP address, I should be able to log into the IP address and get to the sun folders?

I'm trashing the controller once I get the music off it.

Oh yeah that will work that way or what msgreenf said on post #2

• 3 weeks later...

Remove the drive and slave it to a pc and try to get the files off

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Okay, back to slaving the hard drive of the media controller. I noticed the drive itself doesn't have slave ID marks, but the unit below it has Master, Slave and Cable Select. I did a google search, but didn't see anything that was helpful. Can you tell me what cable connector is used to connect to the drive to slave it to the PC? Thanks!  See pics below for drive.

post-122532-0-00701800-1412371381_thumb.post-122532-0-66009300-1412371396_thumb.

You want to keep your drive as master. Remove the cable from the cd drive and use that

Okay, so I disconnected the cable from the CD drive that was marked "Slave".  The slave looks like a 40-Pin IDE/ATA Internal hard drive ribbon, but how do you slave this ribbon to a laptop PC?  Sorry, this may seem like dumb questions, I don't do IT or computer stuff. :)  

post-122532-0-77629800-1412375089_thumb.

Do I need a SATA docking station and connect via USB to my PC?

Scott

Okay, so I disconnected the cable from the CD drive that was marked "Slave". The slave looks like a 40-Pin IDE/ATA Internal hard drive ribbon, but how do you slave this ribbon to a laptop PC? Sorry, this may seem like dumb questions, I don't do IT or computer stuff. :)

attachicon.gifdisc 3.jpg

Do I need a SATA docking station and connect via USB to my PC?

Scott

Yes. That Pc is old! Sata adapter is great

Yes. That Pc is old! Sata adapter is great

Will something like this work?  Vantec CB-ISATAU2 SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter Supports 2.5-Inch, 3.5-Inch, 5.25-Inch Hard Disk Drives

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J01I1G/ref=ox_sc_imb_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

If you have other recommendations, that would be great!  Thanks a bunch!  I might be able to save about 1,000 songs if this works. :)

Will something like this work? Vantec CB-ISATAU2 SATA/IDE to USB 2.0 Adapter Supports 2.5-Inch, 3.5-Inch, 5.25-Inch Hard Disk Drives

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000J01I1G/ref=ox_sc_imb_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

If you have other recommendations, that would be great! Thanks a bunch! I might be able to save about 1,000 songs if this works. :)

I have the same adapter. That is what you need

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, I had to remove the hard drive as there was zero room between the CPU and CD drive to plug in the IDE adaptor.  So, I hooked up the IDE adaptor to the hardrive, plugged it into my USB port on my laptop and powered the drive.  However, the computer isn't picking up that there's a device connected to the USB drive (IDE bridge).  I can hear the drive spinning up, but can't ID it on the USB drive.  Any suggestions?

The drive in the Media Controller is a Seagate Barracuda Model ST380011A 80GB IDE Hard Drive.  7200.7 firmware.

Scott

Okay, I had to remove the hard drive as there was zero room between the CPU and CD drive to plug in the IDE adaptor. So, I hooked up the IDE adaptor to the hardrive, plugged it into my USB port on my laptop and powered the drive. However, the computer isn't picking up that there's a device connected to the USB drive (IDE bridge). I can hear the drive spinning up, but can't ID it on the USB drive. Any suggestions?

The drive in the Media Controller is a Seagate Barracuda Model ST380011A 80GB IDE Hard Drive. 7200.7 firmware.

Scott

Hmmmm. If it's not showings up I am not sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see the drive on my "Devices and Printers" but under "My Computer" the drive isn't showing.  It may be an issue with the USB port.  I'm going to take the hard drive into my office and see if the IT guys can do anything with it.  Also, I wasn't sure if there were any drivers I needed to load first (figure not).

Anyway, since I now have the hard drive out of the media controller, figure I'll try some other ways of getting the data.

Thanks for your help.

Scott

Archived