C4 Forums | Control4

HDMI 8x8 Matrix - Vanco Powered by Wyrestorm

blackfiveo1

http://www.vanco1.com/catalog/Vanco-Powered-By-WyreStorm_205/Vanco-Powered-by-WyreStorm-HDMI-8-x-8-HDBaseT-70m230-ft-Matrix_1473

The descriptions says integrates fine with control4? how do I know if this is certified to work with control4? Does anyone else know why Wyrestorm's name seems to be behind 3-4 different brands? Almost as like on microwaves where there is really only 2-3 manufactures but every appliance stamps their name on it and under the hood its all those 2-3 manufactures. Wyrestorm has come recommended by a couple local dealers.

Anyone have any experience with a Vanco powered by Wyrestorm

http://www.vanco1.com/catalog/Vanco-Powered-By-WyreStorm_205/Vanco-Powered-by-WyreStorm-HDMI-8-x-8-HDBaseT-70m230-ft-Matrix_1473

The descriptions says integrates fine with control4? how do I know if this is certified to work with control4? Does anyone else know why Wyrestorm's name seems to be behind 3-4 different brands? Almost as like on microwaves where there is really only 2-3 manufactures but every appliance stamps their name on it and under the hood its all those 2-3 manufactures. Wyrestorm has come recommended by a couple local dealers.

Anyone have any experience with a Vanco powered by Wyrestorm

Sorry, I can't help on whether or not it is certified nor the quality of it.

Just wanted to make another recommendation. :) I know that if it were me, depending on budget, there are only 2 I would ever do. Either the actual C4 matrix (pricey) or the SNAP AV - Binary piece.

There are A LOT of matrices that are coming out / already out and even more misinformation. When I was doing my research and deciding on a matrix, the Binary made the most sense (never did purchase it though. My budget made me stick with Component). If I were to buy one right now, I would do that piece and I know there were some people on here offering deals on the SNAP AV gear.  

There's lots of good ones. I've just replaced 6 Binary switches in the last month or so (though I'll say at shared cost with SNAP) because they started giving issues for their newer HDBaseT units.

I want to like them but I'm still at best on the fence for them. Plus, there not exactly a cheap option anyway.

Different people will give you different recommendations, but Wyrestorm will be one that generally gets mentioned as a good option - yet Vanco gets pushed aside (my personal track record with their devices is abysmal).

So your piece is....either good, bad or somewhere inbetween :P

My advice is to stay away from hdbaset matrix's.  They are expensive and if your hdbaset port fails (not uncommon) they are even more expensive to fix or at the very least inconvenient (shipping device, waiting for repair, no existing matrix in place).

I would recommend buying a standard SnapAV 8x8 matrix B-100.  I would then buy HDBASET baluns for the number of output ports you really need.  You will save money and if one goes bad you don't have to replace your entire matrix or wait for it to be fixed. 

(not uncommon)

Zero since using them from technology start on matrix switches. If one port would fail tomorrow my rate on ANY ports failing on a matrix switch would remain <2%.

It's not uncommon indeed (on quality devices) - it's very rare.

Failure point, if any has been in the end-point baluns, and one endpoint is cheaper than a whole set of point-to-point.

I've seen far more HDMI ports fail over the years than HDBaseT ports.

There's lots of good ones. I've just replaced 6 Binary switches in the last month or so (though I'll say at shared cost with SNAP) because they started giving issues for their newer HDBaseT units.

I want to like them but I'm still at best on the fence for them. Plus, there not exactly a cheap option anyway.

Different people will give you different recommendations, but Wyrestorm will be one that generally gets mentioned as a good option - yet Vanco gets pushed aside (my personal track record with their devices is abysmal).

So your piece is....either good, bad or somewhere inbetween :P

Hey Cyknight, that is interested. Can you shed some light on the recent issues? Is it just the baluns that were having problems or is it the actual matrix? Which models? Also curious on if it is just firmware issues or actual hardware failure? I still plan on getting on in the future so I am curious.

I know a lot of guys that sell them daily, but haven't heard any stories yet (not to say they aren't having issues, I just haven't heard anything yet). Could help to know the problem in case they start to see issues. That is brutal news, I have always heard such good things. 

And I've always cautioned the 'elatedness' over them ;)

Short story is, cutting out of image, ranging from once in awhile to every few minutes. Full matrix replacement for new model - understand that the older 300 model range (the one we've been replacing) is NOT HDBaseT, never was.

Archived