C4 Forums | Control4

dmx configuration with control4

raza

hello respected members, kindly help me to know about the limitations and characteristics of control 4 system working with DMX, Enttec ODE  .

1.WHAT IS THE MAXIMUM LENGTH OF EACH DAISY CHAIN OF LIGHTING DIMMERS AND DRIVERS?

2.AFTER THE SPLITTER, HOW MANY SEPARATELY CONTROLLED LIGHTING ZONES CAN BE OPERATED PER CHANNEL.?

KINDLY PLEASE HELP ME ABOUT THE WHOLE CONFIGURATION PROCEDURE OF DMX AND CONTROL4 SYSTEM. KINDLY HELP ME THROUGH DIAGRAM IF POSSIBLE.THANK YOU ALL.

To borrow one from RyanE:

Holy CAPS, Batman!

None of these things have anything to do with control4.

DMX max cable run is 1200m/3900feet if using proper twisted pair cable and using an end terminator with a max of 32 loads(devices) on a single chain/leg. DMX splitter can be used to increase the number of loads
(as they increase the number of chains/legs)

The amount of devices on one channel has no true limit, though 15 or less is somtimes recommended.

From Control4's view, there are no specific limits other than what limits exist for DMX - note that 5 devices on the same adress would normally be set as one single device to prevent cross-control.

The only limitation would be that the driver can control only one universe per driver, then again Enttec's and most other's ART-NET units are limited in the same way.

Unless you go over 512 channels there is no need for more than one ART-NET device, if you are going over that - you'll need to use a different unit as I think the Enttec can only operate on one standard universe (could be wrong - this is from memory. Yes Enttec is the one that was tested with the driver by EV, but others exist that can be used.

I AM GRATEFUL TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR GENEROUS HELP. KINDLY TELL ME THAT WHAT WE MEAN BY THE WORD*UNIVERSE) IN THE PERSPECTIVE OF LIGHTING. AND AGAIN I WOULD REQUEST YOU TO KINDLY GIVE ME A LINK FOR GETTING THE BEST DIAGRAM WHICH EXPLAINS THE WHOLE CIRCUIT OF CONTROL4 CONTROLLER AND ALL DEVICES/EQUIPMENT USED IN CONFIGURING THE DMX  WITH CONTROL4. THANKING AGAIN ALL RESPECTED MEMBERS.

I HAVE CAP LOCKS TOO.

UNIVERSE IS A STANDARD DMX TERM DEPICTING ADRESS RANGES IE THERE ARE 512 ADDRESSES IN A SINGLE UNIVERSE

THERE IS NO DIAGRAM FOR CONFIGURING THE DMX WITH CONTROL4 AS SUCH, OTHER THAN GOING TO THE DRIVER DEVELOPER'S SITE AND BROWSING FOR THE DRIVER IN QUESTION WWW.EXTRAVEGETABLES.COM AND READING THE DOCUMENTATION

On a serious note - if you need to learn DMX as well as Control4 from the ground-up, there's training for that as well as plenty of online documentation. This is not Google, there is nothing specific to tell you other than learn how DMX works, learn how Control4 works and read the documentation for the driver the developer made to combine the two.

I AM GRATEFUL TO ALL OF YOU FOR YOUR GENEROUS HELP. KINDLY TELL ME THAT WHAT WE MEAN BY THE WORD*UNIVERSE) IN THE PERSPECTIVE OF LIGHTING. 

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dmx+512+universe&l=1

AND AGAIN I WOULD REQUEST YOU TO KINDLY GIVE ME A LINK FOR GETTING THE BEST DIAGRAM WHICH EXPLAINS THE WHOLE CIRCUIT OF CONTROL4 CONTROLLER AND ALL DEVICES/EQUIPMENT USED IN CONFIGURING THE DMX  WITH CONTROL4. THANKING AGAIN ALL RESPECTED MEMBERS.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=dmx+extra+vegetables+&l=1

https://www.extravegetables.com/sites/default/files/DMX%20lighting%20controls%20best%20kept%20secret.pdf

20304-DMXSystemDesign.png

• 11 months later...

Archived