C4 Forums | Control4

TuneIn and multiple zones

I'm playing some Christmas music in the house for my wife and daughter from a TuneIn station, but I want to play another station out in the garage, but nothing is playing. The IPad and my phone both show the station I'm trying to play, but I'm not getting any audio. I have no problem adding the garage zone to my wife's Christmas channel... So why can't I play my channel? Is TuneIn only capable of playing one station at a time?

Scott

I'm playing some Christmas music in the house for my wife and daughter from a TuneIn station, but I want to play another station out in the garage, but nothing is playing. The IPad and my phone both show the station I'm trying to play, but I'm not getting any audio. I have no problem adding the garage zone to my wife's Christmas channel... So why can't I play my channel? Is TuneIn only capable of playing one station at a time?

Scott

It's not TuneIn it's dependent on the number of audio outputs you have routing from your controller to your amp

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

It's not TuneIn it's dependent on the number of audio outputs you have routing from your controller to your amp

So, the fact you can see it trying to happen means the controller is sending the second audio just the amp is not connected on that route.

If you have an (older) C4 matrix doing this, see if you can see the proper input being selected on it's screen - and check if the arrow is clear or black - black meaning it's sensing an actual signal. Might help you trace the cause.

But yes you can certainly have more than one stream providing you have more than one audio output connected.

I have all new C4 hardware which is running on 2.5.3. My 16 channel amp/matrix is also new. The hc800 is sending the signal outputs to the amp/matrix input 1. No problems with playing one channel from TuneIn in multiple zones, just won't play audio from a second TuneIn channel even though the data (song/artist, etc) is showing on my smartphone and IPad. Is this a programming issue?

Scott

Okay... I'll run a second analog audio from the 800 to the amp/matrix. Since there's only two analog outs (not counting the digital analog) on the 800 to go to the amp/matrix, you can only have two separate audio streams going at one time, correct? I don't remember having this issue when playing music from my old media controller.... Could play 8 songs in 8 different zones if I wanted. But that was music I had burned to the MC hard drive, however I would think it would be the same principle. I think I only had one audio cable going to the amp/matrix at that time from the MC.

Okay, I connected a second analog audio cable set from the 800 to the amp/matrix, selected TuneIn, music, Christmas channel for one zone and another channel for different zone, only the first zone plays the Christmas music. All the info for the other channel is displaying for the other zone, just no audio. One thing I did notice is my receiver, which is in hibernation and really only dedicated to the family room for our surround sound, switch on zone 2, but I'm not sending anything through the receiver as the music should be going directly from the 800 to input 4 (new audio cables just hooked up) of the amp/matrix for the different zone that's not playing the Christmas channel. It's as if the 800 is sending the signal through the HDMI cable to my family room receiver.

Also, to go back to Cyknight's comment on the clear vs black arrows on the amp/matrix... Input 1 shows black arrow going to Zone 2 (sunroom) -- Christmas channel. But, input 3 shows a clear arrow to Zone 1 (foyer) -- different channel, no audio.

As indicated above, I do have an HDMI cable going from the 800 to my receiver's HDMI input 1 for on screen display in our family room and analog audio cables going from the receiver's zone 2 out to Input 3 of the amp/matrix.

I then turned on my receiver for the family room and I'm getting the channel that should be playing in the foyer playing on surround speakers in the family room. The display on my receiver shows HDMI IN/OUT 1 and Zone 2 being displayed.

Any thoughts on this and how to get TuneIn to play in the right zone for my other zones? thanks!

Scott

Sounds like a connection issue in composer

I had to modify my post above with some additional information... Does it still sound like a connection issue in Composer? I also tried this in all my other zones and I get the same results. Zone 2 activated on receiver, but no music, turn zone off, receiver's zone 2 turns off.

Either there is an issue with the audio pathing in your setup/system (ie it's trying to do HDMI when it shouldn't) or there's something wrong with the cable or specific output on the controller.

I'm leaning to that last set due to it seemingly selecting the second controller connection (in 3->out1 being selected properly but the matrix/amp seeing no actual feed).

Now I think there WAS an issue early on with HC800 and using dual outputs to a matrix, but I'll have to dig for specifics/confirmation. Do you have any other digital 'sources' available to test with? ie some music on a harddrive or USB stick on the system, rhapsody?

If so, try using either two different songs in two rooms, or even one tuneIn AND one of the other sources. Should tell us if there's something off with TuneIn specifically or not.

Okay... That helps. Thanks. I'll set up a Rhapsody account and try that.

Just signed up my Rhapsody account and the same thing happens. I can play TuneIn or Rhapsody in one zone, but if I try to play rhapsody in one zone and TuneIn in a second zone from the 800 only the first zone set up will play. I also get the same arrow config display on the amp/matrix... One clear and the other black. The black arrow zone plays fine. In addition, When I go to stream the second source from the 800, the receiver kicks in Zone 2, but nothing plays in Zone 2. If I turn on the receiver (completely powered on) I see displayed HDMI IN/OUT AV1 and Zone 2 and the music plays in my family room from the surround sound speakers, when it should be playing in my Sun Room.

Scott

Okay, this is going to sound like a dumb question, but can TuneIn and Rhapsody (Digital sources) be played through the HC800 HDMI output to the Yamaha Aventage AV receiver (HDMI Input 1) >> then from the Zone 2 Analog Output to the Input of the Amp/Matrix for the other zones in the house?  Could this be what's causing the issue and why the amp/matrix is not seeing the signal?  Signal makes it to the receiver just fine from the 800 (HDMI), but connection is lost from the Zone 2 output of the receiver to the amp/matrix (why I'm getting the "clear" arrow) and no signal.  For right now, I only have the following connections going to the amp/matrix:  Input 1 -- HC800;  Input 2 -- Wireless Music Bridge;  Input 3 -- AV Receiver Zone 2

Do I need to add another Analog Input from the HC800 like what MakeItAMudLight (interesting name) said above... this would mean only two streams at any one time could come from the HC800... correct?  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Or do we still think it's an issue in the Composer set up / audio pathway / specific output on the 800 controller?

Thanks!

Scott

MakeItAMudLight comes from a big lifted truck that I used to have!  I was on a lot of four wheel driver forums and used it there so I just started using it everywhere.  

I'm not a dealer so I'm not sure but I think the HC-800 can only do two audio streams at one time.  I could be wrong though.  It's possible that the system is sending the second stream over your HDMI connection but that the receiver won't output the digital stream over the Zone 2 as most receiver will only do analog connections to Zone 2.  I think a second analog connection from the HC-800 that is properly connected in Composer will achieve the desired effect.  

• 1 month later...

In order to have a different channel playing you should have the second output on the HC-800 hooked up to another input on the amp/matrix. There's no way to have a second audio stream played over a single connection.

Can someone confirm if that works?

Also what If I use the digital coaxial out from hc800 to media room receiver , then rca 1 and 2 to the matrix amp

That will satisfy 2 audio sources and audio to the receiver?

Can someone confirm if that works?

Also what If I use the digital coaxial out from hc800 to media room receiver , then rca 1 and 2 to the matrix amp

That will satisfy 2 audio sources and audio to the receiver?

it should work

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived