C4 Forums | Control4

NAS recommendations?

query

My dealer recommended using a Western Digital My Book Edition II 1 TB NAS, which would have tons of capacity for the future and is available for about $250. When I read some online reviews, it was said to be slow in transfers and loud in fan noise.

Has anyone used this drive, or do you have alternate suggestions in this size range?

I've got a bigger 4-bay NAS -- a Netgear/(formerly Infrant) ReadyNAS NV+ -- that I bought empty and added three 750GB drives. Its a higher price point but it allows me to upgrade the drives as I need the additional capacity, so its not going to be obsolete anytime soon. I did a lot of research up front, it reviewed quite well, and I thought this was the best option. They even have a rack-mountable version for that professional look.

If you're just putting music for your C4 on this NAS, then you probably don't need this or even a TB of storage. Also keep in mind that if you put this 1TB WD NAS into a RAID1 configuration (smart to do for redundancy), then its only 500GB of usable capacity. But you'd be surprised how quickly you can go through a TB of storage once you have it. In addition to music (~100GB), I back up my home PC and my work laptop onto it, plus I keep photos (RAW photos at 10MB each), 50-100 Tivo archived videos, and a bunch of camcorder videos. It goes quickly.

So I love my bigger NAS and would strongly recommend to others. Another related option is the Drobo, which offers similar flexibility.

There are 3 things you want to look for when buying a NAS.

1) Ethernet Port - Make sure it's AT LEAST 100/1000. If it's in your budget get a NAS that supports Jumbo Frames and have it attached to a switch that support Jumbo Frames. Look at my post in Networking about Jumbo Frames and why that is important.

2) Drive Speed - Get a drive thats at least 7200RPM. If you can do a 10KRPM drive then that would be best.

3) Drive Type - SATA, IDE, etc. You will want to get a NAS that has a SATA drive in it.

The above will determine Transfer speed (Read and Write) and Through put. When looking at drives compare MB's Read, Write and Through Put.

GoGo D.

> waynechi:

> I've got a bigger 4-bay NAS -- a Netgear/(formerly Infrant) ReadyNAS NV+ -- that I bought

> empty and added three 750GB drives. Its a higher price point but it allows me to upgrade the

> drives as I need the additional capacity, so its not going to be obsolete anytime soon. I did a lot

> of research up front, it reviewed quite well, and I thought this was the best option. They even

> have a rack-mountable version for that professional look./quote]

I have two of the Infrant ReadyNAS 1000s 1U rack mountables, working on getting a 3rd one to backup the other NASes, so I don't have to take one offline to make backups.

Byron

Can I access (point to) NAS through Home Edition or does my dealer have to configure the network? Alternatively, does the NAS have to be directly attached to the MC.....I guess it would not be called NAS then!

Can my MC access and play ACC (iTunes) files on a NAS?

Thanks!

I don't think we'll ever see ACC - as Apple refuses to open up the license to anyone. So either buy it NON-DRM'd, or buy other music formats... MP3 is supported today... FLAC, WAV and other formats are expected soon (maybe this year sometime - but not "formal" ETA has been announced).

How about pointing to the NAS via Composer HE....possible?

Don't know anything about HE but can you add or do you already have a "network file storage" object in your project? If the answer is no to both, you're probably out of luck as far as HE goes.

• 1 month later...

Archived