C4 Forums | Control4

Strange Network Problem

This may or may not be Control4 related, but y'all are a knowledgeable bunch so I figured I'd start here.

Come home from the gym this morning and my entire network is down. AND I can't get it back up. I've tried rebooting everything, Nada. It doesn't even show my Wi-Fi networks as being available.

The only thing I can think of right now is that my PFSense router/firewall died. My NAS has an IP address that is outside of the range it should be. No devices can communicate at all.

Does this sound like a bad firewall/router to the experts here? I sure hope that's not the case, but it sounds like it is.

I'm not real familiar with SSH. M willing to try. My PC got some crazy IP address and no gateway so I set a static IP, DNS and gateway but am unable to hit the PFSense box at its IP address.

How would I go about accessing it via SSH?

Did you ever enable to feature as I believe by default its turned off for security reasons. 

I'd start by unplugging everything from your switch so the only thing on your network is your router and a computer (hardwired into the router).  Can you connect to it then?  

I suggest this as recently I had a a Triad subwoofer amp with IP go bad and it brought the whole network down. 

Where are you doing dhcp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where am I doing DHCP? The PFSense box serves as the router. I adjusted the IPV4 LAN settings on the local PC to give it the IP address the PFSense usually does via DHCP reservation, and to assign the DNS and Gateway in hopes that once the computer was on the right gateway/subnet that I could access it via WEB GUI. Still no love.

Have you tried replace your network cable from your pfsense box to the switch?

No, I have not. I guess that's something to try. Everything was working last night when I left, come home this morning and it's all down. Nobody was in the house, and nothing had moved. It's all in a climate controlled rack, with all the wires nicely tucked away but still having enough slack that there is no tension on them.

Cables still die. I would recommend trying that. The other thing to try is to remove the switch and cable eight into the pfsense box and see

If you get an ip

Yeah, I'm going to try that too. I just didn't have time this morning to figure out which port was the PC and plug it in directly. I'm going to do that this afternoon when I have more time.

Tried a new cable. Tried a different port on the switch. Tried a direct connection to the PF Sense box. Nothing works. Lights on the network ports of the PFSense box are flashing as if they're working.

Any ideas anyone?

Archived