C4 Forums | Control4

Help! Controller problem (?)

Hi all.  I'd be grateful for any advice you can offer me.  I'll try and keep this short but I want to give you as much info as possible in order to help with the diagnosis. 

I have a HC-300C.  It's the only controller.  I also have an IO extender which controls lights and blinds.  It's a fairly simple system as I have a one bedroom apartment.

It starts with a new router.  A few weeks back I had to replace my router because the WiFi signal was patchy.  The old router had an IP address which was 192.168.0.1.  The new router had an IP address of 192.168.1.1.  I plugged in the new router and, as expected, Control4 stopped working.  So I changed the router address back to 192.168.0.1 and everything worked again.  Great. (This may or may not be relevant to the problem I'm now having but thought I should include it).

Over the last couple of days I've had to turn the power on and off because I have been doing some electrical work.  After last night's reboot, Control4 seems to have given up.  It feels like it's some sort of network problem but I can't track it down.  I've called my dealer but he's unsure and can't get here for at least a couple of weeks.

So this is the problem:  the controller boots up.  I believe the controller has a static IP - 192.168.1.15.  When it's booting up I get the "ip not available" message.  Eventually it boots and I can access the Control4 home screen on my TV.  The SR-250 connects and will work.  I can watch TV and listen to music - all functions controlled by IR blasters.  But I can't do anything that involves the functions controlled by the IO extender (i.e. control the lights or the blinds). 

The MyHome app on my iphone (my primary means of control) will not connect at all.  It just comes back with an error message saying that the app cannot find the controller on my network.

If I try to connect to the controller using Composer HE - nothing.  I can't "see" the controller in the list of local network controllers.

If I look at the front of the HC-300, both the power and the link lights are on.  If I look at the front of the IO extender, the power light is on, but not the link light.

If I try and ping the HC-300 from my computer (hard wired to the router), it times out.

If I login to my router and look at the list of network devices, it shows the IO extender as having a hard wired connection to the network (which is correct).  It doesn't show the HC-300, either as a wired or a wireless connection.

Does anyone have any ideas?  My dealer was make a lot of groaning noises which is making me nervous that I may have suffered some sort of horrible hardware failure. 

Many thanks to you all.

It's possible you have a hardware failure given equipment age, but it sounds like a network issue. 

If you're sure the IP address of your HC-300 is static at 192.168.1.15 then your router must be on the same subnet i.e. 192.168.1.1, not 192.168.0.01. Given the size of your installation, I suspect you're not doing any subnet stuff that would have different subnets in play.

Make that change to your router, power cycle everything and then try to ping HC-300. What IP address is the IO Extender at, according to your router?

AK1

Thank you very much for your advice.  Can I just check something?  I have an ok knowledge of computers and some rudimentary networking knowledge, but it's basic.

The IP address of the HC300 has always been 192.168.1.15 AFAIK.

Are you saying that to connect, my router IP would need to be 192.168.1.0, and not 192.168.0.1?

Ok.  We have progress.

I have changed the router IP to 192.168.1.0.

The following has happened:

- the HC300 now appears on the list of devices on the router

- the HC300 is visible in Composer HE

- the iphone app now connects

Great....apart from now we have an IO extender issue.  All of those functions (lights, blinds) still do not work.  The IO extender has disappeared from the list of devices connected to the router.

Any suggestions on next steps?

Many thanks again for your help.

I've noticed something else.  In addition to "losing" the IO extender, a whole load of other devices have disappeared from the network (Tado, Sky TV box, etc).

It's almost like I can have the HC300, or the other devices, but not both.  Following the logic above, does this mean that the HC300 is on one subnet, and the other devices are on another subnet?

EDIT:  Yep, sure enough, when I switch the router IP, I lose the HC300, but all of the other devices (including the IO extender) reappear on the list of devices.

I am not sure how your system ever worked with the HC-300 on one subnet and the IO extender on another subnet. 

The goal should be to replicate old setup on new router. 

AK1

Thank you very much for your advice.  Can I just check something?  I have an ok knowledge of computers and some rudimentary networking knowledge, but it's basic.

The IP address of the HC300 has always been 192.168.1.15 AFAIK.

Are you saying that to connect, my router IP would need to be 192.168.1.0, and not 192.168.0.1?

Yep

Chaps

Sorry, my sloppy typing has confused things.  Let me just clear this up.

My router IP is (and should be) 192.168.1.1.

When set to this, my HC300 is visible on the network (with an IP of 192.168.1.15).  Unfortunately, none of the other devices (including the IO extender) are visible, because they use a different subnet.  For example, the IO extender appears to have an IP of 192.168.0.6).

So I think the fix to this is that I need to get the HC300 and all other devices on the same subnet.

I assume this means getting my dealer involved?

I suspect the IO extender is getting its IP address from DHCP. If it was static at 192.168.0.6 and the HC-300 static at 192.168.1.15, your system would not function.

So keep the router at 192.168.1.1 and power cycle that IO extender to see if it can get an IP address in the 192.168.1.x range from the new router.

Archived