C4 Forums | Control4

New Build Home Installation

bdo21

Hi everyone,

I am in the process of getting planning permission for a newbuild home in the UK and will be doing the more detailed design work over the next 12months. I would like an automated home although financial constraints may mean that I install all the infrastructure at the beginning but install some of the equipment and features at later date. I had a few questions I hope you can help with:

1) I thought I would send a request for proposal to a few dealers in the next few months. Is this the right timing given we will be developing more detailed plans but we are still at least a year away from building?

2) Given I am not ready to install a system now but want to work with someone to design and plan it, what would you be asking a dealer for? An RFP with a scope of work for this stage and then the installation would be dealt with separately once this is scoped out?

3) I am trying to think through what we would want but having never had an automated home before, I am sure I won't be able to put together a comprehensive list. Does anyone have a precedent scope of works or similar document which could help me articulate what we need?

4) The house is inside the M25, north of London in Hertfordshire. Any suggestions on dealers to include? I am wary about quite a few negative comments about dealers on this forum so recommendations would be helpful.

5) Would you specify Control4 or let the integrator come up with a proposal?

6) Is there anything else you would think about at his stage?

Many thanks

Thanks.  I didn't mean to be vague - it is just difficult to know what to include in a scope when you haven't experienced it yourself before.  I would like comprehensive automation - some ideas are below:

* Lighting (interior and exterior)

* Motorised shades

* Heating

* Door locks

* Garage door and gate control

* Audio zones

* Door intercom system

* Alarm system and security cameras

* Smoke/carbon monoxide detection

* Energy management/monitoring/efficiency

* I'm not sure about video distribution - we have a kaleidescape system which we would want for a couple of rooms in the house so we could either use additional players or a video matrix.  We might also have satellite set top boxes which would mean video distribution I guess?* Potentially an irrigation system

* Potentially control of electronic sliding doors and interior locking systems on some of these

This is the list off the top of my head - hopefully it is clear!  There is not much outside given the UK weather is not particularly accommodating of outdoor activities...

Many thanks

Thanks.  I didn't mean to be vague - it is just difficult to know what to include in a scope when you haven't experienced it yourself before.  I would like comprehensive automation - some ideas are below:

* Lighting (interior and exterior)

* Motorised shades

* Heating

* Door locks

* Garage door and gate control

* Audio zones

* Door intercom system

* Alarm system and security cameras

* Smoke/carbon monoxide detection

* Energy management/monitoring/efficiency

* I'm not sure about video distribution - we have a kaleidescape system which we would want for a couple of rooms in the house so we could either use additional players or a video matrix.  We might also have satellite set top boxes which would mean video distribution I guess?* Potentially an irrigation system

* Potentially control of electronic sliding doors and interior locking systems on some of these

This is the list off the top of my head - hopefully it is clear!  There is not much outside given the UK weather is not particularly accommodating of outdoor activities...

Many thanks

Yep - you can do all the above with C4 while using integration of 3rd party drivers.

From my novice (user) point of view, all can be done without much issue with exception of motorized shades (many ways to do it, I've tried 3 ways, spent a bunch of money, and am not satisfied) and no idea about the sliding door application!

sent a pm

To an answer some of your questions:

1) I thought I would send a request for proposal to a few dealers in the next few months. Is this the right timing given we will be developing more detailed plans but we are still at least a year away from building?  earlier the better, planning all of your pre-wire ahead of time will save you tons in retrofit work.

2) Given I am not ready to install a system now but want to work with someone to design and plan it, what would you be asking a dealer for? An RFP with a scope of work for this stage and then the installation would be dealt with separately once this is scoped out?  just spend time talking to the great users and dealers here, there is a lot to be learned. Creating a system design with everything you could possible ever have in the system would be best with room to grow in the future.

3) I am trying to think through what we would want but having never had an automated home before, I am sure I won't be able to put together a comprehensive list. Does anyone have a precedent scope of works or similar document which could help me articulate what we need?        Most popular devices are lighting, HVAC, Security, and cameras. From there anything is possible.

4) The house is inside the M25, north of London in Hertfordshire. Any suggestions on dealers to include? I am wary about quite a few negative comments about dealers on this forum so recommendations would be helpful.     neil12011 and not to toot my own horn but I'd like to think I have helped a lot of users here myself. not aware of any local dealers to you though

5) Would you specify Control4 or let the integrator come up with a proposal?        Obviously biased opinion here but CONTROL4 ROCKS.

6) Is there anything else you would think about at his stage?   Panelized lighting would be very cost effective to controlling all light loads in your home. eliminating the typical bank of 5-10 light switches on a single wall in more common areas. 

Archived