C4 Forums | Control4

WAN support maybe?!

Marc

• 11 months later...

Well from what my dealer told me, C4 components are not compatible with WAN protocol.

If I want security on my home wireless netkwork, it's WEP.

Is it true or my dealer is wrong?

Marc

Edit: well since I'm not a newbie when it comes to networking and computing, I created a sub-network using WEP (for C4 ONLY) and the rest of my home network is using WAN. Since it seems my dealer cannot do the whole setup in WAN, that's the best I can get so far.

^So what do you do?

I created a subnet with 3 MAC addresses allowed (MAC filtering) using WEP (C4 components). That subnet is linked to my home network which is WPA. I don't know if there is a better way, but that's the best I could do with the knowledge I have.

Marc

WEP can be broken into in a matter of minutes regardless of MAC filtering and disabling of SSID broadcasts. You need to either completely isolate the network that has WEP components from your personal network or firewall it and pass through select protocols only if you *really* know what you're doing. All of this can be done while still maintaining internet access for firmware updates and 4sight access etc.

Among other solutions, sonicwall products will tackle this right out of the box with minimal configuration.

^So what do you do?

I brought my entire security level down to work with the 10.5 inch touchpanels.

I should probably go and do what Marc did' date=' I just haven't taken the time to do it.[/quote']

Yeah, that was my first thought but that is risky for the amount of gain.

WEP can be broken into in a matter of minutes regardless of MAC filtering and disabling of SSID broadcasts. You need to either completely isolate the network that has WEP components from your personal network or firewall it and pass through select protocols only if you *really* know what you're doing. All of this can be done while still maintaining internet access for firmware updates and 4sight access etc.

Among other solutions, sonicwall products will tackle this right out of the box with minimal configuration.

So can WPA.

If someone really wants to hack my system and get into my security then so be it… Must be really bored! I change my wep once a month; they can spend the time to crack it once a month. I’d only worry about it if it’s a business type situation.

Yeah, I doubt anybody is going to hack into my system. If they do, they won't find much....I keep all the important stuff on a flash drive that I keep in my fireproof safe. I only plug the flashdrive in when I need to use one of those items.

Yeah, I doubt anybody is going to hack into my system. If they do, they won't find much....I keep all the important stuff on a flash drive that I keep in my fireproof safe. I only plug the flashdrive in when I need to use one of those items.

Must be a big flash drive to keep all those "top secret" .jpg and .avi files....:lol:

Yeah' date=' I doubt anybody is going to hack into my system. If they do, they won't find much....I keep all the important stuff on a flash drive that I keep in my fireproof safe. I only plug the flashdrive in when I need to use one of those items.[/quote']

Must be a big flash drive to keep all those "top secret" .jpg and .avi files....:lol:

You have no idea my friend :cool:

Archived