C4 Forums | Control4

Changing ISP, how will this affect my system?

russellben

Newbie question here

I will soon be changing my ISP and hence my modem. 

My dealer has told me that doing so will require him to come in and reconfigure some settings in my control 4 system.

IF so what exactly will need to be changed and is this something I can do with my composer HE and avoid the dreaded dealer call and charges. 

I do have and use a 4sight license but do not currently have a static IP and it seems to work fine. I could see this needing configuration but anything else directly in the system that will need to be changed 

You thoughts

Ready GO

and thx

Being exact is impossible not knowing your setup, as there are multiple things that MAY be an issue.

-Control4 devices set to static may fail to communicate or create IP conflicts (if current modem is also system router, which I would hope not)

-Static IPs done 'wrong' (ie DNS set to provider servers)

-Reservation on DHCP (again if ISP modem/router is used as sytem router.

-If new modem is indeed a modem/router and the system router was on a 'default' IP range a conflict can occur there

-There's more potentials, but again without knowing your setup.......

Controller static IP in this scenario will require a dealer to come by. Router settings you COULD do yourself, if you're confident in doing it (and know the passwords).

ASSUMING though that there is a proper system router setup, and it's actually setup PROPERLY, the ISP modem/router can be swapped almost always without a need for ANY changes to your system at all - other than power cycling the router nothing would need to be done.

In some setups it MAY be required to do something on the ISP combo modem router to ensure proper pass-through of internet connectivity for the system or specific parts/drivers in the system, but usually it's not a requirement (though arguably best practice - that's something you COULD do yourself however.

Problem is so few networks get setup correctly :blink:

Excellent thoughts Thanks

I do feel my dealer has a excellent knowledge and did set up my system very well.

The modem is NOT the router and hence like you said a simple swap out may be doable, 

but I'm moving to comcast and would not be surprised if they tried to push a modem/ router combo on me as I have heard they like to do that so it (the new modem) will need to be set up correctly.

Thx again

Even if you go to a combo now, for MOST setups no major issues are likely to occur. It isn't advisable, but the most likely thing to be affected is internet access due to double NAT. Control4 does actually handle that very well though.

Here many providers don't even offer the option of a standalone modem to begin with :angry: :angry: :angry:  - but usually we can either get it bridged, or have a second IP assigned to a specific port that doesn't pass through the actual router/gateway/firewall.

Simply put, i'd do the change, see what happens and if there are minor issues post the specifics afterwards.

Most likely Comcast will push their horrible modem/router combo on you as they now use these in our area to provide "FREE" wifi to other Comcast customers as well.  My recommendation is to get one of the the Motorola Surfboard modems and ditch whatever they give you.  It will save you $7+ a month and pay for itself in less than a year.  

Most likely Comcast will push their horrible modem/router combo on you as they now use these in our area to provide "FREE" wifi to other Comcast customers as well.  My recommendation is to get one of the the Motorola Surfboard modems and ditch whatever they give you.  It will save you $7+ a month and pay for itself in less than a year.  

+1

You can absolutely purchase a Motorola Surfboard modem and use your existing router.  This is what we do on every Comcast ISP setup we perform, as we have proven that the Comcast all in one unit, even with all firewalls disabled still "controls" where you can and cant go. 

Exactly.  Have done this for the past 5 years.  Had to change the modem once since the power unit failed.  Having the freedom to use your own equipment is priceless but in this case we have saved +$400 over 5 years.

As for your original question, if you have IP controlled devices and they are on different subnets than what you will have with Comcast, you may need your dealer to make those changes.  

Again, it comes down to your own comfort level of configuring a router and knowing how your Control4 equipment is identified.  Your dealer could do it remotely if you can make the changes to match what you have today.

Archived