C4 Forums | Control4

Neato BotVac Integration

blub

Not sure about the botvac series. But I have a neato xv-21 that I added a relay to the docking station to have it start cleaning. It required significant modification to the robot and its marginally effective.

They do have a USB debug port that you could interface with as well as I'm sure a serial data trace somewhere on the control board. Again this would require significant modification.

Ok Dyson is out since it isn't really for sale yet...or maybe ever !?

That leaves the BotVac connected and most importantly a person developing a driver - anyone thinking it might be worht it and think about giving it shot?

Buy me a bot and I'll write a driver. :) But the connected series doesn't look like its out yet.

If I'd buy you a bot that would be an immensely expensive driver for me :-) - however if we find a couple more people to collect 750$ I am surely in for it :-)

If I'd buy you a bot that would be an immensely expensive driver for me :-) - however if we find a couple more people to collect 750$ I am surely in for it :-)

$750 for a driver being fully developed is insanely cheap 

I've only written three drivers but I would hope this would be straight forward. Although I have no idea how I would map a vacuum in terms of proxy or a device in control4. Probably would need to be an app in navigator to make it usable.

I'm looking for any API documentation for neato.

$750 for a driver being fully developed is insanely cheap

That's for sure. But usually drivers are sold to more than one person. So for me paying 750$ and then others getting it for let's say 100$ later on is a little out of proportion from my point of view.

Although I have no problem with a driver being for free afterwards when I am part of a group that donates the money to get the device for development.

Since the neato has the more sophisticated navigation compared to the brand new roomba navigation I would vote for the neato.

@C4RVA

If Neato's API isn't online maybe they will provide the bot once they see the full picture!?

I am not sure if an app in c4 is needed.

Basically we need:

Start /stop cycle

Return home

Pick schedules

Those could be done via custom buttons

Variables for bot status:

Status status of cycle/ remaining time

Battery state

Time of last run

Error state - if it gets stranded

Could be visualized via notifications or email.

However a customizable GUI I.e. HTML5 would be awesome for jobs like this.

I don't see them giving you a unit as the amount of sales they would possibly get from C4 integration is tiny.

The new Roomba is rather nice and has a much better algorithm for mapping the room but it's expensive.

Personally I've got my 500 series Roomba connected via the ThinkingCleaner wifi add-on and it works very well. At least for my use which is general dog hair pick up on an approximately 2500 swift wood floor it works well

A C4 driver is also in the works as this piece has an API

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also have an older Roomba 580 but for my place I am looking for something a little more efficient and on top the roomba is pretty beaten uo over the years - hence my quest for a new one and the neato navigation was superior over roombas for years now.

Do you think the new roomba navigates better than the neato? I kinda doubt it but I haven't seen any review comparing those to new guys yet. I also wonder how roombas camera can navigate in the dark.

I will keep my eyes open for a connected a it is not in stock ATM.

@firemedic

I also think the amount of sales through C4 would be minimal, it is more a gadget/marketing thing "hey look W

What we can do!" - it makes the Connected "more Connected" :-)

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.