C4 Forums | Control4

no more cx777es...

its official now... the 777 has been retired. (sniff sniff)

Why the flip wont sony make a 400 disc with an scaler chip and hdmi? This piece is the best part of my whole system. It's kewl to have yer lights dim when the movie starts, and even have the ever popular "romance" button, but the real part that gets folks, is when you can browse 800 dvds. If it wasnt for this part of the system, I might as well program up a color pronto and call it good.

Will a bluray version ever come out?

I second your thoughts, punkrock. I am really hoping for a successor to the 777. I've got to think they plan to have one...otherwise why even keep the "Videos" icon on the main screen? The 777 is the only available way for C4 to browse videos right now.

No, it's not the only way for C4 to browse videos...

There are other changers that will work, although you have to manually log in your DVDs into the system, since there are no other 2-way serially-controllable devices that will return the Table of Contents of the DVD to allow for automatic lookup.

Not quite as nice, but you can still have as many DVDs in the system, and look them up the same ways as before.

RyanE

I don't know anything, even though I work for a dealer, but if I had to guess I would say that boxes like The Popcorn Hour, the new Escient system (with c4 embedded?!), and VUDU will become more popular as download on demand becomes more widely accepted and available.

It'd be awesome if Sony decided to do a Bluray/DVD changer, but I'm not holding my breath.

Sony does have a 200 Disc Blu ray as part of their Home Entertainment Server package...

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644516277

I have not seen this sold on its own.

It is not even part of the NHS-130C package that Control4 and Sony partnered on in 2007.

http://www.sonynewhome.com/NHS130C.aspx

Sony does have a 200 Disc Blu ray as part of their Home Entertainment Server package...

http://www.sonystyle.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CategoryDisplay?catalogId=10551&storeId=10151&langId=-1&categoryId=8198552921644516277

I have not seen this sold on its own.

It is not even part of the NHS-130C package that Control4 and Sony partnered on in 2007.

http://www.sonynewhome.com/NHS130C.aspx

________________________________________________________________________________

I never understood the Sony HES-V1000 boat anchor. I just want a CX777es sized 400 disc Blu-ray player that I won't have to take a loan out to buy.

Byron

I have my Sony DVP-CX995 400 disc changer working well with Control4 and on-screen navi, but as Ryan said, you have to manually enter in all of the DVD's. Not a big deal if you have 50 dvd's like i do, but if you really have 800, that could be fun...

you are controling it IR then? How reliable are the commands? That one has and hdmi out and a upconverting lil scaller right?

Yeah it has HDMI. To be honest I have no idea if it up converts, I run it component video... My tv will have a better scaler than the sony dvd anyways...

The driver seems to be very reliable. Once in a blue moon it will miss a display command and the setup menu will still be up but one press of the display button kicks it off.

This product is only a CONCEPT product... Sony has NOT (nor do they plan) on mass-producing it. Yes it can be purchased out there, but, according to the Sony reps at least year's CEDIA - they just wanted to see if it could be done and how well.

I'm expecting a "serious" product release announcement this CEDIA - but that will, of course, mean it'll be another 6+ months before we see anything ship. :(

• 4 weeks later...

ditto...this is my wife's favorite part of our system....she could honestly live without everything else, but for her to be able to watch her "chick" dvds at will, and in any room...I have to fight her for the remote....to the death.

Hi my name is Rick I started my journey as a Control4 end user. My system was installed using the first equipment Control4 shipped. With the discontinuation of the 777 changer I thought it might be time to break my silence about a project I started a few years ago. I was not satisfied with the thought of having to have several different changers to handle my collection of DVD’s. So I decided to explore some of the different options in the area of a media server. I bought a few of them and only found them to be very expensive and difficult to use and lacked the integration capability of the 777 with Control4.

So I decided that I would find a way to change all of that. And now it’s time that others are able to gain from what we have developed. The Company we formed is based in South Jordan, Utah we named it Zatabit, Inc. after the term “Zettabyte” wiki describes this word as

“A zettabyte (symbol ZB, derived from the SI prefix zetta-) is a unit of information or computer storage equal to one sextillion (one long scale trilliard) bytes.”.

We did this because we wanted to create a server capable of all the storage a person could want. And for the past few years we have developed a suitable replacement for the 777 that will do just that. We are currently seeking Control4 certified installers to start our public release. We offer a two way IP driver including metadata integration for 1.3.2 and 1.6. If you are interested we will be offering some sweet deals on your show room models. Drop by and visit us at http://zatabit.com/.

Hi Rick,

I am a Control4 dealer in the UK and have been looking for a solution like yours for a long time.

Will this product ever come to the UK

If so please give me more details, distributor, screen shots, hardware photo's etc

Andy

• 1 month later...
I have my Sony DVP-CX995 400 disc changer working well with Control4 and on-screen navi' date=' but as Ryan said, you have to manually enter in all of the DVD's. Not a big deal if you have 50 dvd's like i do, but if you really have 800, that could be fun...[/quote']

you are controling it IR then? How reliable are the commands? That one has and hdmi out and a upconverting lil scaller right?

How do you enter the dvd information? Do you just enter the name/title and disk position? Any cover art with this one?

Are there any brands that anyone has used to do the same thing ie Pioneer

The Pioneer Elite® 300 does have a RS232 serial port and can handle 2 way communication. In order to make it work like the Sony C4 would have to integrate it into their system like they did with the Sony. Even if C4 did do this it might be a waist of time who knows how long Pioneer will keep the 300 around.

Control4 just made an announcement to its dealers:

Control4 is pleased to announce the availability of the Sony DVP-CX995V DVD Changer for sale to our dealers. With Sony's discontinuation of the DVP-CX777ES 400 Disc DVD Changer, many Control4 dealers have been looking for an alternative. Control4 is pleased to make the Sony DVP-CX995V available to its dealers. The Sony DVP-CX995V has many of the features available on the DVP-CX777ES plus HDMI with upscaling to 720P/1080i. The driver for the DVP-CX995V is a one way IR driver and is available on the Control4 online driver database. You can find more information about the Sony DVP-CX995V at Sony's web site.

seriously, I still can't believe sony pulled a great product and left everyone hanging without an adequate replacement...and the 995 is NOT an adequate replacement, hell, the driver in composer doesn't even work for it half the time...most of our customers were sold on the C4/777 setup alone...sony=lame...

seriously, I still can't believe sony pulled a great product and left everyone hanging without an adequate replacement...and the 995 is NOT an adequate replacement, hell, the driver in composer doesn't even work for it half the time...most of our customers were sold on the C4/777 setup alone...sony=lame...

100% agree. And when the mythical blu-ray changer comes out, it will be 200 discs less in capacity and cost probably 4x as much.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived