C4 Forums | Control4

Multiple Yamaha receivers dropping off the network (was intermittent, now constant on 2.8)

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I haven't run a wire trace yet, that will be next.

But essentially with only amps and 2 idevice's, no gateway, no DNS, no other connections they all (except the 1079's) crash.

It's Indicative that there is other traffic there that is messing with that chip. Just like posts 60 and 61 here.

Understood, the point I was trying to make is on such a small network which Yamaha only, it can crash very easily. Either it's own traffic is the cause or the app is the cause, or by chance the phone has another app causing the death packet. Either way Yamaha needs to fix it.

I have been talking to Yamaha about this the last two weeks.  They sent me the 1.8 firmware for the rx-a730 which has not been released yet to try.  I created a separate vlan on my network that did not allow broadcast traffic and the receivers still crapped out, all 4 of them.  I'll let you know if I have any luck with the 1.8 firmware.

has anyone got any decent contacts at Yamaha? as the ones in Australia don't have anything to do with the networking side and pass it up the chain, probably on def ears as the normal consumer market have a low requirement.  

I'd be keen to paint them a picture, as the issue I believe is far worse than netflix, or socket connections.  Their own equipment is not stable in a multi device setup.

I had to jump through a lot of hoops to get the contact info of the person at Yamaha that supposedly owns the C4 support relationship.  Disinterest is probably the word that first comes to mind.  Polite, but didn't seem to want to discuss anything because I wasn't with C4.  And since C4 support just blew my dealer off, despite the amount of info / debug info, it doesn't seem that C4 has any interest in driving the problem.  If C4 isn't going to drive, it doesn't appear Yamaha is going to do anything.

if I were a C4 dealer, I would simply recommend my customers avoid Yamaha (sadly) unless and until this is fixed.  C4 doesn't fair much better, but they probably don't really care because they know once a customer is hooked they are more likely to remain a prisoner of their ecosystem rather than leave it.

Unfortunately I have a customer who is 12 Yamaha Amps Deep, so replacing them with something else won't be easy.

in everyone's experience can just having the Netflix app not specifically using it (Andriod) crash the amps?

has anyone had a situation where multiple amps have caused the crash?

Is there a particular model which is worse than any others? In my situation I'm running v475, v575, 677 and v1079 (The 1079's reliability wise seem just about bullet proof).

1 hour ago, Trevo said:

Is it because of the multiple amps themselves, or just the chance of having more amps increases the likelihood of having a crash?

Can't answer that definitively, but I never had a problem with one Yamaha on IP; only when I had 2 or 3.  I have fewer issues now that one is using serial, but I suspect the more you have, the more problems you will see.

7 hours ago, Trevo said:

in everyone's experience can just having the Netflix app not specifically using it (Andriod) crash the amps?

From my experience, the problem that i encountered was only caused by the ios netflix app, and would occur just by launching the app.  The android app worked fine, and did not have the issue.  Just make sure you have the latest versions and you should be fine regarding that as a cause.

On June 10, 2016 at 2:00 AM, Trevo said:

I haven't run a wire trace yet, that will be next.

But essentially with only amps and 2 idevice's, no gateway, no DNS, no other connections they all (except the 1079's) crash.

Did you get a chance to run a wire trace?

what symptoms do you see when the amps crash?  Is it that they drop off the network?  Can you ping them or do they show up in a map of network devices?  How do they recover from the crash (by themselves, by power cycling, etc)?

7 hours ago, Trevo said:

Is there a particular model which is worse than any others? In my situation I'm running v475, v575, 677 and v1079 (The 1079's reliability wise seem just about bullet proof).

The netflix bug exposed a flaw in the mediatek network/media controller chip used in the yamaha receivers (rx-v673 in my case).  My guess is that the v475 and 575 use the same chip as the 673 (all of which have no built in wifi).  The 677 has built in wifi, so may be using a newer version of the same chip.  I think that the 1079 may use a different chip entirely (a yamaha guy told me that some newer models did change from mediatek, but i don't recall which models - the '9' at the end of the model number may be significant, but i may be mistaken).  So, if the issues are happening because of the use of the mediatek network chip, your only option would be to get a receiver that used a different component.  Unfortunately, just buying a 'new' model won't assure this of being the case, as even current model denon/marantz (and pioneer, etc) receivers use it.

Sadly, from yamaha's side, they pretty much wrote the netflix issue off on netflix instead of acknowledging that it was their fault (or the fault of their supplier) caused by not handling the bad network packet gracefully, so I wouldn't hold my breath expecting a solution from them unless you can completely isolate the problem and document it for them to reproduce...

Even if you can isolate and reproduce the problem, Yamaha won't do anything about the problem unless Control4 drives it and C4 has already told me (and others) they aren't going to do anything.

In this case, neither side gives a damn about their customers, presumably because they believe any sales lost because of this is lower than the time/cost to fix.  (They are probably right, because most aren't gong to see or know about the problem until after they have bought Yamaha receivers for their project).

But I won't buy another Yamaha receiver for a C4 system and I encourage others to take the same position.

Archived