C4 Forums | Control4

Do dealers want to sell HC200-based systems?

waynechi

Here's a question that I had when thinking about the HC-200 value proposition. A lot of the press touted it as competing with high-end integrated remotes. I can envision several friends who might consider a one room installation of an HC-200 with no further components needed. They would do serial/IR to their A/V and stereo components and would stream digital music off a networked home PC. My questions for the dealers are:

1) What's the price range for this kind of install? $500 - $1000 in labor?

2) At this price point, would you as dealers welcome having, say 10 of these customers walk in your door tomorrow? Do you view them as having future upgrade potential, although possibly in $500 chunks? Or would you see these type of customers as too low margin for you to make money given your current model?

I can see dealers who grew up and still operate in a Crestron-like, high skill/customization dealer model having a lot of trouble with these kind of customers. On the other hand, I can see other types embracing it more. What do the dealers around here think of the opportunity for new lower-end customers?

You have two types of dealers. On one hand we have the dealer who only does large residential/commercial jobs. They don't even bother looking at smaller jobs that may or may not be worth their time. On the other hand we have dealers who prefer smaller jobs. In and out alot faster. At the end of the day it all depends on their business model. Remember most dealers do not only sell control4.

In regards to future upgrades yes. I foresee the HC200 as a starting controller in a 1 room environment. However in order to upgrade to multiroom you will most likely need a HC300/HC500 to power the project. As the project grows larger you may even need to upgrade to a HC1000.

With Control4 you no longer have to do those big bang installations. You now have the option to grow your system according to your budget and as your system grows your relationship with your dealer grows. Your dealer will get a better understanding of your needs and wants rather then trying to figure that out in the initial project requirements.

Its all part of the Control4 everyday easy mentality :)

The HC-200 is meant for 2 things.. A single room controller that gives you a large range of features, many of which include sales just like an HC300 ( zigbee devices etc ) or an on screen display for a large mutli room system. Slap one behind each tv and now you have inroom control and a separate GUI.

I am assigning the HC-200 to one of my installers as his specialty item. We will offer 999 packages that include limited programming and labor and 1-2 dimmers. I cant wait for the product to ship. I do see people calling and wanting to only add 1 or 2 dimmers but we plan on informing any purchasers that we simply can not come out and install 1 or 2 dimmers and add it to their system. We will try to offer upgrade packages instead of single items.

Audio Atmosphere wrote, ""The HC-200 is meant for 2 things.. A single room controller that gives you a large range of features, many of which include sales just like an HC300 ( zigbee devices etc ) or an on screen display for a large mutli room system. Slap one behind each tv and now you have inroom control and a separate GUI.".

I am little confused about the HC200 - the concensus appears that it is meant for 1 room deployment, does that mean most people will see the setup being that all the I/O AV devices will plug directly into the TV (if there are enough inputs) and each device will be controlled by the HC200 either serially or by IR? Ie. wires on show everywhere.

Or, most likely, am I missing something?

You can have aws many HC-200's in a project as you want - as long as they are SLAVEs only... meaning a DIRECTOR should reside on an HC-300, HC-500 or HC-1000. You can have a single HC-200 in a project and that can be the MASTER (DIRECTOR) - but the moment you add a 2nd HC-200 - you can't run them both as masters (or even one as master and one as slave).

Audio Atmosphere wrote, ""The HC-200 is meant for 2 things.. A single room controller that gives you a large range of features, many of which include sales just like an HC300 ( zigbee devices etc ) or an on screen display for a large mutli room system. Slap one behind each tv and now you have inroom control and a separate GUI.".

I am little confused about the HC200 - the concensus appears that it is meant for 1 room deployment, does that mean most people will see the setup being that all the I/O AV devices will plug directly into the TV (if there are enough inputs) and each device will be controlled by the HC200 either serially or by IR? Ie. wires on show everywhere.

Or, most likely, am I missing something?

the main difference is the HC200 has 1 audio output and 4 ir ports/2 serial ports. Its limited to 1 controller in the project. Its perfect for a 2 zone audio system ( ie a receiver ) you still have to hook up items to a receiver or tv like you would with the HC300... you can still add a bunch of lights, thermostats, card access parts or any other zigbee parts

Thanks for the info AA - we are a bit slower in receiving info and goods over this side of the pond and the information isn't perhaps as good as it could be. I have just received a message saying that the HC200 will be available for shipment in the UK in November. The retail price will be around £470 incl taxes ( approx $830).

Archived