C4 Forums | Control4

Why is Sonos (allegedly) in self destruct mode?

What  is going on? All these rumours flying around about them winding back the clock on C4 functionality?

Why would anyone do this? I just don't get it....

What are they doing?

Things like Amazon Alexa are going to kill them.. "Alexa play Bruno Mars on Spotify"..."Alexa play my Pandora Radiohead station"...

Amazon have Prime, Spotify and Pandora all stitched up...

..with a lot more functionality to come...

All thru the C4 Amazon Echo system....

What are Sonos (apparently) up to???

Can someone please come clean here so we know where we stand?

Thanks W

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Silence. Incredible. We pay all this money over the years, we spend hours and hours with the pain of integration. We go thru swapping drivers and all that Extra Vegetables third party payment and other stuff. We improve both platforms. We make the entire multiroom music HA experirnce a better place. We cheer when it's finally reached a reasonable state of functionality and praise Control4 for the great work ...... then silence? We don't even get the decency of some sort of heads up as to what might transpose and how things might play out? ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

because no one here knows!  Trust me, I don't think anyone that knows and can say is hiding everything..it's all speculation.  BTW - Sonos never promised you any third party integrations when you bought it as they had no public API or partnerships

Sure. I get that. But what do you mean "nobody knows"? Various people have come on here and said they saw stuff in the booth at CEDIA. Surely they asked questions? Surely it's been discussed add nauseum on the dealer forum. I just don't believe there is not more info out there. What about the next beta. Anything in that? It's just not good enough for even the company not to keep end users in the loop with the courtesy of an email or something. This was a *big* driver and integration for many people....a lot of us have spent considerable time and money over *many years* getting it right...heck it was even *the* reason. C4 splashed out and purchased EV as I recall? This is worse than getting the cold shoulder treatment from a favourite girlfriend! W.

Just now, wappinghigh said:

I'm losing patience again very quickly with the lack of transparency and democracy around here...this is worse than Alex Jones sitting up all night waiting for Julian @ wikileaks to spill the beans on Hiliary.... !

Well for what its worth, I know nothing and I ain't hiding anything.  

1 minute ago, wappinghigh said:

Don't you find it a touch "irritating" as well?

I have no Sonos investment, so no.  I have Heos.  Which I like and which won't change because Denon is a C4 partner and wrote the Heos drivers

Nonsense. I've been a customer of theirs for years. And spent over $10,000 on their equipment and paid for hours of extra programming time to get to this point ...both directly on making their product work and network properly and with the Control4 integration (which was advertised I might add as the best thing since sliced bread....... which it is.....AT THIS POINT IN TIME....) so this doesn't entitle me to a bit of "information"?

I have no Sonos investment, so no.  I have Heos.  Which I like and which won't change because Denon is a C4 partner and wrote the Heos drivers

Ok. Now I don't get it. Sorry. So Control4 never had some sort of partnership with Sonos? I thought the latest driver was "an official driver"?

1 minute ago, wappinghigh said:

so this doesn't entitle me to a bit of "information"?

Simply put - no it does not. You can rant and dislike that all you want. But no - you are, in fact, not entitled to anything of the sort.

Whether it's WISE to take the silent route, whether it's WISE for Sonos to make whatever changes they may be making or not making is it's own discussion.

Ok. Now I don't get it. Sorry. So Control4 never had some sort of partnership with Sonos? I thought the latest driver was "an official driver"?

Control4 never had a partnership until recently. The official partnership based driver is not out yet

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Simply put - no it does not. You can rant and dislike that all you want. But no - you are, in fact, not entitled to anything of the sort.

Whether it's WISE to take the silent route, whether it's WISE for Sonos to make whatever changes they may be making or not making is it's own discussion.

Yes. I agree with that. They can blow the whole show up for all I care (if what is rumoured is coming) Going to be interesting to watch the fall out.

But your opinion of them self destructing isn't representative of their business model. Control4 can't represent a huge source of revenue for them.

They might self destruct for you but not for the general public

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

Right. Thanks for that. I missed that. So that clarifies it in my mind. Playlists only. This is a backward step. "We've signed off on a backward step" is how I now interpret that. Right or wrong that's how I view it. Control4 is now my biggest platform. It all started with Sonos, but that is now the reality (many around here would be in a similar boat) So long Sonos (is my feeling).... stuff goes on eBay tomorrow I guess.... gee. All that money and time and effort. I guess Wap just suck it up ol son.... ....

But your opinion of them self destructing isn't representative of their business model. Control4 can't represent a huge source of revenue for them.

They might self destruct for you but not for the general public

I also agree with that statement. In fact I agree with you all. And it looks like Sonos is the culprit. (Or Control4 simply didn't have the power in the relationship to maintain the current awesome functionality.) "CONTROL4 PARTNERS WITH SONOS IN *THEIR* (READ SONOS'S) FIRST-EVER ENDORSED PARTNER INTEGRATION PROGRAM. Now I get it. The (new) Sonos Control4 driver is likely to suck. Thanks for everyone's assistance. Rock on Control4.

Right. Thanks for that. I missed that. So that clarifies it in my mind. Playlists only. This is a backward step. "We've signed off on a backward step" is how I now interpret that. Right or wrong that's how I view it. Control4 is now my biggest platform. It all started with Sonos, but that is now the reality (many around here would be in a similar boat) So long Sonos (is my feeling) thanks for nothing... stuff goes on eBay tomorrow I guess.... gee. All that money and time and effort. I guess Wap just suck it up ol son.... ....

Sorry man but read the article again and again and again before posting anything else here. In addition to the current driver capabilities they will add Sonos playlist support as well. Life doesn't revolve around spamming forums...

sent from my LG G2

21 minutes ago, 9800pro said:

Sorry man but read the article again and again and again before posting anything else here. In addition to the current driver capabilities they will add Sonos playlist support as well. Life doesn't revolve around spamming forums...

sent from my LG G2

I aint going to cop that. I can read. I just read the article for the third time. With all due respect, Where in that partnership announcement that MSG linked, does it say "In addition to the current driver capabilities".... they will add Sonos playlist support "as well "......?

Control4, now and into the future, seamlessly integrates the Sonos audio platform into a Control4 connected home.

This integration makes Sonos playlists available throughout the home using a keypad, touch screen, iOS and Android mobile devices, and even the Control4 hand-held remote.

“This new integration enables us to deliver the Sonos experience to our customers—so they can enjoy their favorite music, their way.”

Read between the lines...

sent from my LG G2

This is entirely why I started this thread. Because of the confusion. It is not my fault I might be "confused" (as a customer of both products) because I can't interpret what's not written in a press statement.... I am after the facts.. because I have a lot of money, time and effort tied up in the products.. And I want to know what to do with my platform in the future.. Why is that asking too much? 

Archived