C4 Forums | Control4

Prewire for fiber internet

bkays

Question

Is there anything different I need to be aware of when prewiring  my new construction for fiber internet? I just found out AT&T Gigapower has just become available in my area. 

I already have Cat6 and RG6 going over where but will it require running fiber to each location as well or does it go from the box to my router/switch (I'm not even sure if fiber uses a regular router) and distribute there through the Cat6? 

i tried calling AT&T but they said only their engineers know that and they don't take direct calls from customers. 

Anyway from the research I've done I need a conduit from where I want them to put the box to my rack, but other than that I'm having trouble finding info. Any have any experience with this that could give me some help?

2 answers to this question

Fiber doesn't need to be run across the house - though if where you have your house entry and where the rack/gear is going is very different, it may be worth considering a run between them, or a separate conduit. Note that most installers won't RUN a wire even through a preset conduit inside the house, but having it there at least give you/them the option.

Archived