C4 Forums | Control4

Denon 2808CI Pre-amp output question

akg4y

I was wondering if anyone here had experience with using a Denon 2808CI (or other Denon receivers with pre-amp out) and could tell me if when you use the pre-amp outputs if the receiver still outputs from the amplified speaker outs as well?

I would like to use one receiver for 2 home theater setups (wont ever be used at the same time), using the standard speaker outs for one, and using the pre-amp outs for the amplifier supplying the dedicated media room. Is that possible, or if I use the pre-amp outputs will the same thing end up playing out of the speakers in the other room also?

No, not for audio distribution/zones. Basically I want to be able to use the single Denon receiver for outputting to two home theater setups (7.1 on each), with one using the regular speaker outputs and the other using the pre-amp outputs. The two setups would of course not be used at the same time, but my question is when using the pre-amp outputs are the amplified outputs active as well, or are they/can they be disabled?

Not a Denon user so please don't quote me on it but, I believe both zones will hear the same audio. Ex. If you turn on Rm1 (wired to speaker terminals) to DVD input then Rm2 (pre-outs of Denon) will also hear the DVD output. You will never be able to hear different things in each room.

Thanks... that answer may or may not have answered my question, Im not sure. I dont want to hear two different things at the same time, but when I use the pre-amp outputs I want the speaker terminals to be off (so that nothing is playing in the other room.

Example - Room 1 connected to speaker terminals, Room 2 connected to preamp outputs and separate amplifier

Room1 (connected so speaker terminals) - If I play something and it outputs to the speaker terminals then I can just turn off the Room2 external amp connected to the preamp outputs and the audio will only play in Room 1.

Room2 (connected to pre-amp out and separate amp) - If I play something here the only way something wont play in room 1 is if the speaker terminals can be disabled when the pre-amp output is used.

Thanks... that answer may or may not have answered my question, Im not sure. I dont want to hear two different things at the same time, but when I use the pre-amp outputs I want the speaker terminals to be off (so that nothing is playing in the other room.

Example - Room 1 connected to speaker terminals, Room 2 connected to preamp outputs and separate amplifier

Room1 (connected so speaker terminals) - If I play something and it outputs to the speaker terminals then I can just turn off the Room2 external amp connected to the preamp outputs and the audio will only play in Room 1.

Room2 (connected to pre-amp out and separate amp) - If I play something here the only way something wont play in room 1 is if the speaker terminals can be disabled when the pre-amp output is used.

I think the Denon speaker terminals are always active.

A solution is to have two external amps and use ADA LLSM-1. http://www.ada.net/products/ht/llsm_1.php

It will allow you to A/B two amplifiers to one HT 5.1 preamp.

Archived