C4 Forums | Control4

Add Zones list

I currently have 5 zones for music, these are run via 3 different amps/receivers.

All these zones have the ability to run digital music from the HC controllers - either individually or in sync.

I mostly play spotify via an Apple express connected to the HC.

If I start music in the 'Lounge' i can hit the zones - add zones and all my other zones are available to choose.

If I start music in the 'Master bedroom', I hit zones - add zone - all zones except the 'lounge' are available to choose.

Why can't I add lounge?

Any thoughts?

What are you selecting as listen in master vs lounge? 

If you start in master and change room to lounge and hit listen express does it work?

While you're not supposed to hide the things sources that are "invisible" digital media hasn't been an issue ever for me. What got me in the beginning were the uhf/vhf and things when antennas were the way to get HD

The Apple Express is set up as an Audio source in the room 'Lounge'

(I think) Because the AE is linked via connections as an input to an HC, and the HC's are connected to all my receivers, the Apple Express is an available audio option in all rooms where audio is an option

Apple Express is available in all rooms 'Listen' menu.

If I select 'Listen' -> Apple Express in the Master Bedroom, the source plays fine.

If I think hit the zones button, I can select any room except the 'Lounge'

Will have a play later and report back.

Of course it was :-)

Despite what people may think...having that driver hidden (just in one room) can cause problems with zones page and digital streaming services in general. There are very few reasons to ever hide that driver since it doesn't present itself as an icon in navigator.

Glad you got it sorted out.

6 hours ago, d1amund said:

Despite what people may think...having that driver hidden (just in one room) can cause problems with zones page and digital streaming services in general. There are very few reasons to ever hide that driver since it doesn't present itself as an icon in navigator.

In general hiding Digital Media should be avoided. Use cases are pretty uncommon indeed. That said, it's not as if there isn't logical reasoning behind why hiding it caused the behavior you saw there. Putting it very simple, you would have seen the same thing with native sources, and connecting the Express to a controller input mwans it essentially became a digital media 'service' much like TuneIn or stored music.

Though, simply put, the ability to prevent the zone page from combining a zone with others while retaining the ability to select all the sources is one of the reasons you WOULD hide it. Think office use where you want each individual office to have all the native streaming services available, but you want to block people from combining rooms and 'taking over' other people's offices that way. Or prevent offices from overtaking the waiting/reception room audio, or the 'big boss' office or a meeting room or....

PS - good catch on that being the issue though!

Archived