C4 Forums | Control4

Add IP Camera and VPN DIY

Kook

Question

Hey All,

I have two questions:

1. I would like to add a couple of IP cameras to my existing network myself because I am a pretty technical guy. Is there a way to manually manage my devices from my desktop while on my network with or without additional control4 software? I was hoping for a web browser type management interface. After looking at my Control-4 box, I have a TON of ports open but none of them have any interesting web interfaces via the landing pages. I feel they may have intently obfuscated the web server ports to add a little more "Security" to the interface. Requiring the user to know the required URL. The open web server ports are the following with what is found on their landing pages:

• 80 - Open source notice
  • 443 - Broker version
  • 6800 - 404 Not found Error. 

The following are the open ports: 22,80,139,443,445,5020,5021,5100,5101,5102,5110,5111,5115,5116,5117,5555,5560,5571,5810,5811,6000,6377,6500,6501,6800,7900,7910,7950,10888,20000,25021,54055.

2. I am currently using 4sight but would like to get away from it. I currently have a VPN setup but I need to finish the configuration. From my research, the only ports required to be forwarded in the VPN are: 

5020 - Enables unsecure communications with Director.

5021 - Enables SSL secured communications with Director.

80 - Enables delivery of artwork for albums, movies and radio stations. 

Are these the only ports needed to connect the control4 app to my VPNed network without 4sight?

Thanks in advance!

7 answers to this question

"I'm a pretty technical guy".......

I just couldn't use Google to tell me I cant add these things and I like dropping a list of open ports on the internet......

Sorry Kook, I couldn't resist.

Oh also, if you VPN in, your ports don't need to be open......but you knew that.

I do admit my networking is lacking but you can be technical without a great depth of networking experience. To be honest, this is my first time attempting to finely manage my network. I guess I got confused by the some of the documentation. Thank you for clarifying that.

1 hour ago, msgreenf said:

no, you need composer pro to add drivers.

So I may not be able to add devices, but is there a way to manage devices through the host locally?

15 minutes ago, Kook said:

I do admit my networking is lacking but you can be technical without a great depth of networking experience. To be honest, this is my first time attempting to finely manage my network. I guess I got confused by the some of the documentation. Thank you for clarifying that.

So I may not be able to add devices, but is there a way to manage devices through the host locally?

what do you mean by that?

keep in mind a vpn will not offer all of the same features that 4 sight does.

what kind of cameras are they?

search the forum and you will find plenty of information on vpn for control4 and cameras, maybe even the ones you have too.

Archived