C4 Forums | Control4

Lost internet and now my AVM 60 prepro can not be controlled

Hello everyone I have an Anthem AVM 60 prepro that I have connected to my EA5. My EA5 is connected to the network. There is a main ethernet feed that supplies a network switch, which the EA5 is plugged into. My router is the Netgear nighthawk.

A few days ago we had a lightning storm which took out internet service for a few days. I had to reset the modem and router many times and the internet company came and fixed it and now my internet is back up. 

During the internet outage, almost everything on my control 4 was functional (lights, control of my tv's, door locks, garage door, projector, etc) except my OPPO 205 blu ray player and Anthem AVM 60 processor lost control. My oppo 205 is connected to control 4 via an ethernet cord that is plugged into the network. THE AVM 60 is connected with both an ethernet cord and an RS232 that goes to an IRIP back to the EA5.

I tried unplugging everything, the EA5, router, modem, switch, Anthem, OPPO, and nothing worked. I also checked all the connections and everything is correct. I just could not get control of these two units from my control 4 stuff.

I called my dealer and after a while of trying stuff, we were able to figure out that since my router was reset, it assigned a different IP address to the OPPO, which was different than the one that was set in the settings of the control 4. Once we made the IP addresses in the control 4 and on my OPPO match, Boom, the oppo was back under control under control 4. 

We tried doing the same thing on the Anthem unit, but still I am not able to get control of it! 

I feel like this has to be a network issue since it stopped working after the internet went down. Any ideas on what I should do? 

47 minutes ago, docmd2010 said:

Is there a way I can go into control 4 and check the IP address that is assigned to my c4 to verify it's correct without calling my dealer? i have a feeling he didn't do it correctly.

do you have composer HE?

Thank you for your response. How is your AVM 60 connected to c4? is it rs232 plus ethernet to the network? mine is connected to both.

I've tried the above (unplug the Rs232 and the ethernet cord) and it doesn't work. any other ideas?

How do you confirm that the c4 address matches the one in the avm60?

6 minutes ago, docmd2010 said:

Thank you for your response. How is your AVM 60 connected to c4? is it rs232 plus ethernet to the network? mine is connected to both.

I've tried the above (unplug the Rs232 and the ethernet cord) and it doesn't work. any other ideas?

How do you confirm that the c4 address matches the one in the avm60?

Mine is connected just to IP.   Unplug the power (not Ethernet) from the back.   Wait about a minute then plug back in.  Turn the unit on from the front panel then check it for c4 connection.

I would be surprised if this is not fixed with a simple unpower the unit from the back and then plug back in....   The unit has a standby power so that's why you just can't turn it off and on from the front of the unit.  I have had the exact same issue and that's all it took.   Hopefully it works....

This is why devices like these should be setup with Static IPs and not DHCP reservations, if something happens to the router, the devices will continue to work regardless.  Also doesn't typically need the whole power cycle process some devices need to rerequest an address via DHCP.

2 hours ago, msgreenf said:

I tend to do both. Set the static IP as a DHCP reservation just in case the device gets changed it will still stick to the same IP.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Seeing as how you should be setting your static IPs outside of the DHCP range this isn't good practice.

15 hours ago, annex⁴ said:

This is why devices like these should be setup with Static IPs and not DHCP reservations, if something happens to the router, the devices will continue to work regardless.  Also doesn't typically need the whole power cycle process some devices need to rerequest an address via DHCP.

I have fixed IP and have had to do the full power cycle on a couple of occasions 

Seeing as how you should be setting your static IPs outside of the DHCP range this isn't good practice.

Never thought about this. Makes sense, might have to adjust some of my static IPs later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, ejn1 said:

Why is this not a good practice?  

Because some routers could give out the IP regardless of you setting it as Static to another device, and then you have an IP conflict.  The DHCP range is for DHCP, if you want static it should be outside the DHCP range.  By doing both you don't trust one of the methods to work properly but are just introducing the potential for more problems.

7 hours ago, THEORY said:

Because some routers could give out the IP regardless of you setting it as Static to another device, and then you have an IP conflict.  The DHCP range is for DHCP, if you want static it should be outside the DHCP range.  By doing both you don't trust one of the methods to work properly but are just introducing the potential for more problems.

I have mine  set up like you are saying.  I thought your other comment was saying something different.  Thx

Archived