C4 Forums | Control4

HDMI (with HDCP) IS A TOTAL DISASTER

wappinghigh

22 hours ago, msgreenf said:

Should car manufactures sue cities for potholes in the roads?

What does that have to do with it? Sorry lost me. :) Simply trying to throw C4 a bone here so they can recoup some costs that I seriously believe have unfairly been thrown their way. But it's not just the current loss of sales.. it's all about where video distribution is heading.. if HDMI had of been left "clean" aka stripped of the shocking noose around it (HDCP) who knows how successful Matrix and other control of central video distribution would have been? Instead the market heads away from this (network, streaming and other small devices at each source..heck even embedded in the source)...local device app control  etc etc.. you know the drill. Look all I'm saying is DRM attached to HDMI via HDCP  has to of cost C4 sales.. because it's basically a worse experience than the cheaper DRM (netflix etc alternatives) and the non DRM torrenting..And it's got to be an issue with the young.. who don't even use disk players anymore. Anyway. That's my view.  I'll stick with it cheers. :) 

You’re trying to throw C4 a bone? You my friend, are delusional.

Imagine how popular helicopters would be if we could just get rid of the pesky FAA and their air traffic restrictions. Flying cars! If the dumb government would just let us land, take off and fly safely where when and how we saw fit...it could save commuters thousands of hours worth billions of dollars.

You can hypothesize all you want on how things would be different if things were different, but your arguments don’t make any sense, are irrational and misguided. Does anyone love HDCP? No. Should Control4 sue someone because it exists? HELL no.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I happen to think my arguments are very rational and make quite a lot of sense. Each to there own I guess. But fair enough if you don't take the legal route because it is impossible to "win" (as is argued by the other two with some sort of weird car on a road or helicopter landing at an airport analogy), fair enough. You then move your technology away from the bottleneck. You don't keep throwing good money after bad at technology and outdated ways of doing things just because it complies with what is basically a shocking end customer experience (HDCP on HDMI). Anyway, I still think they would have a strong case. Just my view as I said. Others don't have to agree. That's fine. Good robust discussion as always. We are lucky we all still live in democracies where there is freedom of speech. Cheers.   

Ok so here we have a Premium "Certified cable" I have just purchased. If you get the Authentic Vision app you are supposed to QR this and then it basically makes sure you have a legit cable..(Well legit box I guess)  that is "Certified 4K HDR". HDMI 2.0b. And guaranteed by HDMI.org to work with ALL HDMI sources. (Their words). This is good. This is a great initiative. 

But the thing is why does HDMI.org need this?

What's been going on?

Have there been fake so called "4K compliant" cables out there that are nothing of the sort?

I mean there are fake 4K movies, so why not fake 4K cables?   

IMG_4585.JPG

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_2_0/index.aspx

"Previously, HDMI Specification Version 2.0b (HDMI 2.0b) only supported HDR (High Dynamic Range) video transport in the SMPTE ST 2084 EOTF (as applied in the media profile commonly known as HDR10), by referencing the CTA861.3 specification. The Consumer Technology Association (CTA) has recently notified the HDMI Forum of the adoption of a new version of the CTA-861 Specification, CTA-861-G. This new version provides additional support for HDR Video transport by including (among others) an extension to the static metadata signaling to include the HLG (Hybrid Log Gamma) EOTF. The HDMI Forum has assessed the applicability of the CTA-861-G Specification to HDMI 2.0b. The HDMI Forum has confirmed that the extension of the static metadata signaling to include HLG can be utilized under the existing HDMI 2.0b Specification. This means that HLG Video Transport functionality may be implemented on HDMI 2.0b compliant devices."

WHAT?!!!! Thank goodness for the certification!

Its called "marketing." Anything on the package is pretty meaningless. Its a digital cable. If it can get the ones and zeros to the TV it will work.

Where have you been, man? This is like stuff from 2005. HDMI sucks. HDCP sucks. We cant do anything about it... Everything will be streaming in a few years directly to a native app on your TV set to Input 0. 

11 hours ago, seth_j said:

Where have you been, man?

Paying for it Dude, like all the other millions of law abiding consumers and small AV dependent companies like Control4 out there.....

This is like stuff from 2005.

Yep we have been a strugglin' and a payin' for it for well over a decade now...

HDMI sucks. HDCP sucks.

Indeed it does. Glad someone from the industry has the balls to say so. 

We cant do anything about it... 

No individual we can't, we can merely document the frustration in our own little way, so maybe something will come of it and they'll drop all the HDCP nonsense to give the tech one last chance...

Everything will be streaming in a few years directly to a native app on your TV set to Input 0. 

Indeed it will. But no doubt some sources will still be required. Yep HDMI/HDCP will turn out to be the biggest A/V fail of the 21st C. HDMI had so much promise but they screwed it up good and proper. No doubt about it. W 

Archived