C4 Forums | Control4

Recession Hurting Business?

joed

Ryan, you are probably right.

For those of you who think this is a stupid thread, then tell me why Apple reported record revenue in their earnings call a couple of weeks ago. People are still spending money on technology. I was just curious if Control4 fell into that category or not.

This is NOT a stupid question.

I'm not saying C4 is/will become in trouble. Hell what do I know. I've absolutely NO idea...

I'm actually looking at purchasing C4 because it seems to be so easily retrofitted into an "old" dwelling. And mine's over 100 years old! It also appears to be easily moved from one home to another...it's great how portable the main HC300 etc controllers are..ie And when you move house, I don't see why you just can't pick up and take most of your C4 system with you (along with all the A-V gear it controls):)(Damn..that's unless the bank repossess all your hifi and TV's as well!:D)

This is THE number one attraction I have right now for the C4 solution. You get evicted...OK. Not a problem...just get up and load that car before the bankers turn up: take all you homecontrol gear with you! Haven't lost a cent of your outlay! :lol: So who knows: they might do better during the housing downturn than the more "fixed" competition.

But any future customer is obviously interested in the answer to this question. Cause a recession is a recession after all....

Who is going to lash out and spend huge amounts on a technological system that has future support or upgrades in doubt?

Who wants to be left with redundant technology in years to come..something difficult to upgrade or add to..

So, what's wrong with a decent and honest answer to this question?

You are not the only one with this curiosity I assure you..

Wappinghigh, you edited out the best part of your post :)

My initial thinking was how is the recession going to hurt the rollout of new products and features, not if Control4 was going under. But I see how that could be a valid question as well.

Sure.

Apple's sales might have been great (yesterday's news) but look at the complete lack of new hardware product released at the recent Mac love in.

A slow down of new product would be a shame..I'm a self confessed tech nerd...I'm not real certain though you can compare the outlooks of both companies....No tech head would wish either to actually fail..heaven forbid!

My comparison was an effort to show that there still are tech companies growing and making money. It was NOT an attempt to put Control4 in the same league as Apple. This was a response to the "stupid question" posts.

I don't think it's a stupid question, but I doubt there's anyone on these forums who could / would answer the question.

Wappinghigh's reply has a valid point. Control4 may not suffer as badly as many other companies because the product was built from the ground up to be able to be retrofit into houses. New construction is down, but I'm guessing retrofit is likely up.

Control4, being a private company, isn't going to release it's financials, and while I work there, It's not my place to comment on the company. Is the economy affecting *every* business? Probably. How is it affecting Control4? I really couldn't say.

I *will* say I have full confidence in Control4's founders and leadership and that Control4 is doing fine, and has been taking the steps necessary to be around for a long time to come. Control4 continues to gain new partners (25 of them showed at CES with Control4's Partner Pavilion) and traction in new markets.

RyanE

been a while since i posted on these forums, but i will say something on this one. the recession may actually be a good thing for c4. while construction is down houses are still being built. since c4 is a much more affordable choice for automation, whole house audio, lighting and hvac control, and basic control functions, in this economic turn c4 may seem the most attractive choice for most consumers because of what it can offer for the price. this should be a no brainer. the companies that will suffer will most likely be crestron, amx, and the like, whereas the the flashy extra's aren't worth the extra change.

for anyone, this is the perfect time for c4 to shine and to really get it's foothold on the industry. "C4 PRICED FOR RECESSION"

I was listening to NPR last week and they had a story on how some businesses were actually doing better in the recession. As people are canceling their fancy trips or put off on large expenses they are still spending money, but not as much and locally.

I could see something like control4 getting a boost on the lower end installations.

Archived