C4 Forums | Control4

LEDs resetting to black for both on and off for 6 button keypads

zaphod

Has anyone else had instances of the LEDs on their 6 buttons seemingly having a mind of their own and resetting to black for both on and off? I swear that this happens every few months to me - it doesn't happen to all 6 button switches in my house or even all of the buttons on one keypad but once in a while I have several of them go wonky and I have to redo my colours in Composer HE.

Your dealer set it up wrong - it's a binding issue... when a light is bound to the 6 button - it takes the properties of the light to the 6 button. So, for example, if the LEDs on the dimmer are GREEN - they'll be GREEN on the 6 button - even if you override it and tell them to be red - eventually the system will reset them back to GREEN. So your LED changes need to be made on the light switch itself.

^Just to confirm this as this was one of my first discussions I had with my dealer. He and I agreed that unbinding would be OK as long as I understood that we were to set LED color in stone first. Now, my system has binds only in three/four way switching situations and the KPs are freed-up for my experimentation (hackery if you will!).

slemay, you are very helpful!

Your dealer set it up wrong - it's a binding issue... when a light is bound to the 6 button - it takes the properties of the light to the 6 button. So, for example, if the LEDs on the dimmer are GREEN - they'll be GREEN on the 6 button - even if you override it and tell them to be red - eventually the system will reset them back to GREEN. So your LED changes need to be made on the light switch itself.

So this kind of exlpains things. You are saying that when lights are not bound and I am using a lighting scheme or programming (which I kind change in HE) then I can totally control the lights from only the six button.

But when I have the six button and dimmer bound, which can only be done with Composer Pro, then I have to make sure to also change the light colors on the dimmer - correct?

What happens if the six button is bound to the dimmer and I then also attach programming to the six button? Will it do both actions the bind light on/off and also whatever commands are done via programming?

So this kind of exlpains things. You are saying that when lights are not bound and I am using a lighting scheme or programming (which I kind change in HE) then I can totally control the lights from only the six button.

But when I have the six button and dimmer bound, which can only be done with Composer Pro, then I have to make sure to also change the light colors on the dimmer - correct?

What happens if the six button is bound to the dimmer and I then also attach programming to the six button? Will it do both actions the bind light on/off and also whatever commands are done via programming?

Correct on all accounts. The LED state, in the end, will be whatever the bound dimmer is at. But it'll still execute your programming as well as the binding of the light code.

I have this problem too - my 6 button lights are bound to other dimmers - but they only get out of sync it seems if I am messing around in Composer (programming unrelated items). If I'm not changing anything they usually work. I'll look in to having them unbound.

Binding is a quick and easy way to do programming... no reason to UNBIND them unless you want to do complex programming. If you're just turning a light on and off... then leave it bound. If the LED colors bothers you - then change the LED color at the light switch itself - which will in turn update the LED at the 3/6 button controller automatically.

The LED state, in the end, will be whatever the bound dimmer is at. But it'll still execute your programming as well as the binding of the light code.

OK I am still slightly confused as the dimmer has settings for both top and bottom buttons - does the 6 button bind to the top or bottom LEDs.

Let's say I want the 6 button switch to be blue when off and green when on. On the dimmer that is bound to this 6 button switch what do I set LED Top Color On, LED Top Color Off, LED Bottom Color On, and LED Bottom Color Off?

6 button binds to whatever button you tell it to. So if you take the top left corner button (button 1) and go to bind it to a light, you'll be presented with 3 options: TOP, BOTTOM, TOGGLE. You you'll bind that light to either top button, the bottom button, or most commonly in this case, the TOGGLE button (so it does both - if it's already on, it'll turn it off and vice-versa).

As for the LED it's going to track the on or off state. So you'll program ON LED for TOP and OFF LED for BOTTOM - and that's what will show up on the 6 button.

• 1 month later...

Is there any standard for lights or anyone have any suggestions? Do most people set off to black and on to blue or some other color? Right now all of my dimmers are blue on the bottom (off) and blue on the top (on). Makes the 6 button's that are linked kinda confusing.

Is there any standard for lights or anyone have any suggestions? Do most people set off to black and on to blue or some other color? Right now all of my dimmers are blue on the bottom (off) and blue on the top (on). Makes the 6 button's that are linked kinda confusing.

No, it's just up to you and whatever you find easy to remember.

Actually - I find that customers typically think about programming a light on a one to one basis.

Meaning - that you program a light switch to a button on the 6 button etc...

The TRUE POWER of a Control4 system is NOT having a 1 to 1 relation but a 1 to many. Simple meaning - get out of the mindset of one button turns on a light and get into the might set that one button turns on a whole bunch of lights.

You want to think lighting scenes. If at night you find you turn 3 different lights on in the room at different levels... than program that!

Some examples:

In my Family Room I have:

Button 1 (Theater) - Turns most of the lights on, some dim - at what I call the Theater scene - meaning before the lights go out.

Button 2 (Movie) - Turns most of the lights out leaving on a few accents on - this is what I call the MOVIE watching scene.

Button 3 (Reading) - Turns 1/2 the lights out - turns on some sconces - very relaxing scene

Button 4 (Cleaning) - Turns all lights on to 100% - great for cleaning

Button 5 (All Off) - As it says

That gives you some ideas... hope that helps and gets your creative juices flowing!!! :)

Archived