C4 Forums | Control4

zigbee range

qwerty88

Question

8 answers to this question

9 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

Strategic dimmer locations, additional controller on the network are the best choices. You can get a range extender but dimmers are a better investment since they serve multiple purposes

does the controllers need to be located in a central location of the house or is it ok to locate them inside a cabinet?

how many signal hops can the dimmers/ switches have?

On 2/2/2018 at 3:21 AM, lippavisual said:

Sonic is spot on. No more than 2 hops.

Smaller homes, gets centrally located.

medium to larger, centrally located on both sides of the home and sometimes run separate zigbee servers. 

What about for multi storey houses if floors are all concrete with metal rebars?

How many total stories? You might need 2 or 3 controllers. My house is 4000sqft with 2 controllers at either end on the 1st and second floor with some keypads sprinkled in (my dimmers are not zigbee due to price) but it isn't concrete and keypad and remotes are solid. My guess is plan for 1-2 hops due to your environment. What are the walls made of?

On 2/3/2018 at 9:19 AM, sonic30101 said:

How many total stories? You might need 2 or 3 controllers. My house is 4000sqft with 2 controllers at either end on the 1st and second floor with some keypads sprinkled in (my dimmers are not zigbee due to price) but it isn't concrete and keypad and remotes are solid. My guess is plan for 1-2 hops due to your environment. What are the walls made of?

3 stories. Size of ground floor and second floor is around 9,000 sqft. Walls are made of 8-10” concrete partitions.

That isn't impossible but a panelized setup and hardwired keypads may be a better solution if it is not too late in the build, will still have to do controllers in certain areas for handheld remotes. That is a lot of concrete and you will likely need quite a few controllers to have proper coverage otherwise 4 or 5+ depending on floorplan. If you can upload the floorplan some may be able to get a better lay of the land for suggestions

Archived