C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 announces line of Home Energy Manager products

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/control4-announces-new-line-home/story.aspx?guid=%7B428C7392-220F-4280-852F-F3745AAD68CA%7D&dist=msr_1

"SAN DIEGO, Feb 03, 2009 (BUSINESS WIRE) -- Control4 Corporation, a leader in affordable IP-based control and entertainment systems, today announced a new line of Home Energy Manager products that will use the Control4® Operating System to provide a platform for consumers to connect their home to the Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) being developed by the major utility companies worldwide. "

"The Control4® Home Energy Manager will provide the utility industry with a practical, reliable and affordable platform for the home. Control4 is among the first companies to offer all of the critical pieces of technology for the home environment including a Home Area Network, an In-Home Display and a Smart Thermostat. The Control4® platform will let utility companies offer customers an intuitive interface that integrates usage analytics with software and hardware solutions for the home and that complements the utility's load management software. Homeowners enjoy real-time information retrieval regarding their energy usage, greater energy savings and more control over their energy consumption."

We have been installing a few Peak Software platforms since they hit the street for C4. Check them out.

http://www.peaksoftwarecorp.com/

What's the price of the software? And do you have to go through your control4 dealer?

And the answer is:

Yes you have to go though the control4 dealer

EM-200-C4 (up to 200 AMP service) with an MSRP of $367 plus

installation

EM-400-C4 (up to 400 AMP service) with an MSRP of $484 plus

installation

Looks pretty neat but am I seeing it right that you have to leave a pc on?

Easy Installation

TED Energy Monitor for Control4 is comprised of 4 basic components: 1)) A measuring Transmitter Unit (MTU) located in the circuit breaker panel using two Current Transformers (CT's), 2)) a Receiving Display Unit (RDU) located in the home, 3)) a Personal Meter Data Repository (P-MDR) running on a local PC and 4)) a Control4 interface driver running on the local Control4 controller.

Yes, a pc needs to be left on 24/7 so that the software can accumulate data and for history purposes. I spoke with Peak the other day and they will be coming out with a standalone dedicated server so that you won't need to keep your pc running all the time.

Yes' date=' a pc needs to be left on 24/7 so that the software can accumulate data and for history purposes. I spoke with Peak the other day and they will be coming out with a standalone dedicated server so that you won't need to keep your pc running all the time.[/quote']

Cool :)

• 2 weeks later...

Yes' date=' a pc needs to be left on 24/7 so that the software can accumulate data and for history purposes. I spoke with Peak the other day and they will be coming out with a standalone dedicated server so that you won't need to keep your pc running all the time.[/quote']

just some new info I received this in a email from the company:

""We are pleased to announce the release of TED Energy Monitor for Control4 SERVER. This unit works with new or existing TED Energy Monitor for Control4 systems replacing the need to use a Customer's PC to run the server component of our software. No more installation hassles with PCs that aren't compatible or are overkill in processing power using more energy than necessary to monitor resources.

SUMMARY:

Eco-Friendly Design

Average power consumption less than 20W.

Lowers power consumption by up to 90% over std. PC

Solid State design

Small Size and can be mounted on wall or shelf

Wired or Wireless LAN connection

DEALER PRICING:

MSRP of $985.00 USD

Requires purchase of TED Energy Monitor for Control4 to have software pre-loaded

AVAILABILITY:

Is currently available for order.

First customer shipments expected week of March 2nd.

• 2 months later...

Bryan (bjeff) has the TED setup at his personal house. . He seems to like it so far. I'll point him to this thread so he can tell you the ins and outs of it (I dont have it at my house yet so I cant say).

I've had the TED and Peaksoftware installed for a month to 6 weeks. Just upgraded to the new 1.3 release from Peak this weekend.

So far, I've been very pleased with the setup. The TED system is real time and the level of feedback and reporting is very impressive. I've been changing lighting scenes and comparing the energy/cost savings with different settings. You can program C4 to shed loads based on current, projected or cumulative energy use. And appliance level interfaces for C4 were just added in this update.

So far, I've been very pleased with the package and I'm looking forward to integrating it further into my home.

So which TED unit are you guys using? Is this hard to install? I don't understand how it could tell you how much electricity a ceiling fan or somethign is using, does it monitor each breaker?

Also, does anyone have any screenshots of this on C4?

Wait, I just saw the post above referencing a unit priced at $985 - is that accurate?

I saw units on the website (googled TED Energy Management) for below $200.

That is for the standalone server from Peak Software (not needed if you're willing to leave your computer on 24/7). The TED unit and software are approx. $400

The unit is fairly simple to install as long as you are comfortable working inside your electrical panel. If not, any electrician can take care of it in a snap.

The appliance level monitoring works in software.

Once you've defined an appliance in the system, you profile it via the interface so the system can learn it's power signature. The next time the appliance turns on, the system can recognize the signature and map out the usage accordingly. It works, but not 100% of the time at present.

The appliance "events" are now available to C4 so you trigger other C4 based events when the TED sees an appliance event.

The upgrade is available from directly from peak.

Archived