C4 Forums | Control4

integration question

I had my C4 system installed over a year ago. It's a relatively small system and I had zero problems with it.
I was under the impression that the system has an integration protocol that is publicly available, however I can't seem to find any documentation.

The installer left me with a list of settings he thought I would need for my project.
I have the IP address, port number and user name / password to connect to the system.  (verified and confirmed to be working)

I am able to SSH to my controller and get a list of commands, but can't seem to find any documentation.

Built-in commands:
------------------
        . : [ [[ alias bg break cd chdir continue eval exec exit export
        false fg hash help history jobs kill let local printf pwd read
        readonly return set shift source test times trap true type ulimit
        umask unalias unset wait

So here is the question. Does C4 controller support any 3rd party integration or I was sold the system with the capability it does not have?

Thanks 

Hi ichbinbose and thanks for your reply!

I am not looking to add or remove any devices, just wanted to see if I can send any control commands via SSH to the existing devices that are already programmed in the controller. 

Thanks . 

I am not looking to add or remove any devices, just wanted to see if I can send any control commands via SSH to the existing devices that are already programmed in the controller. 
Thanks . 

You can send specific commands via ssh to the controller.
I’m not aware of being able to send commands to other devices by using ssh, then again it’s not really intended to work that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 minutes ago, net_tech said:

Thanks . 

There is a driver for control4 that you can use for sending tcp ip commands.  If you would like this, I can help you out.  Here's the link -->  https://www.chowmainsoft.com/generic-tcp-command

Looks like Chowmain is a driver that would let you control devices that are not in the system, it's not what I am looking for. 

Here is an example.

I have my foyer light (Lutron RadioRa2 dimmer) available as one of the lighting controls under the Lights screen 
When I adjust the slider for that light on my phone (C4 App) I assume the controller sends a telnet command to the Lutron main repeater to issue the command to the dimmer. 

What I am looking for is to get a list of the available commands for the C4 controller (same commands C4 app uses when it talks to the controller.) so I can issue the command to the C4 via SSH that would tell the programmed device (RA2 dimmer in this case) to adjust the light. 

Hope I explained myself well enough 

Thanks 

From a driverworks perspective (the lua script running in drivers) you would send a "SET_LEVEL" command to the device (proxy) which would have the protocol layer to control the dimmer. This would all be managed by the director process.

You can connect to director directly and send c4soap commands but you will not receive any support from Control4 if doing this.

What's the end goal?

2 minutes ago, dcovach said:

Makes more sense.  You have me curious... can I ask why you want control via this method?  Are you trying to create a driver?

no, not a driver.

would like to write my own app to control existing equipment. 

3 minutes ago, TheWizard said:

You can connect to director directly and send c4soap commands but you will not receive any support from Control4 if doing this.

What's the end goal?

Could you elaborate on the c4soap commands?

The end goal is to have my own app that would let me control existing/programmed devices. 

Thanks 

What is the reason to do this when you already have an app that does this? There is an advanced custom buttons driver that lets you do some of the above but you would also need composer HE to manipulate what the buttons on the web page do on the c4 side

1 minute ago, net_tech said:

Additionally I would be able to let them control some of the components with their Alexas without 4Sight subscription 

There is a 3rd party alexa driver that does not need a 4sight subscription.  You can create triggers and custom program what you want those triggers to execute.

Just now, net_tech said:

A lot of useful info guys! 

Thanks for your help

Your ideas are valid and good but it seems like you've just come out of a cave.   It doesn't take long for new integration methods to pop up.  If you frequent these forums, you'll pick up on the latest without having to re-invent the wheel yourself.

I went back to my cave and figured out the communication <c4soap> protocol. I am now able to see what the app is telling the processor to do on a specific button press and what the responses are.

Any one who visits my cave will be able to see the wall engravings I am leaving behind as a legacy to the next generation and an insight to the c4soap language. 

4 minutes ago, net_tech said:

I went back to my cave and figured out the communication <c4soap> protocol. I am now able to see what the app is telling the processor to do on a specific button press and what the responses are.

Any one who visits my cave will be able to see the wall engravings I am leaving behind as a legacy to the next generation and an insight to the c4soap language. 

Some of the best discoveries are found in caves

7 minutes ago, net_tech said:

Agreed, as the next discovery may be about adding new devices to the processor without the need of the composer at all...

That's already possible.  Call your dealer :) the project XML file can be edited but highly discouraged.  I would be impressed if you could add and configure devices into c4 using Alexa without breaking the project. Plus be able to add custom programming. :)

Archived