C4 Forums | Control4

Security breach concern

I like the Isight functionality, and automation overall.  But what keeps someone from hacking my system and monitoring for my time away from the house? 

What annual security checks can a user conduct to keep it locked down, or look for evidence of being hacked? 

Is Control4 providing any tools that sniff out hacking and provide alerts to users or their dealers? 

I probably have a slightly different opinion. I maybe don't think it's 100% correct to call something secure because its a VPN. The promise is secure. There are multiple links on the chain and VPN's have been known to have security exploits. I'm not saying this one has an exploit. I wouldn't bet my life on the system being secure. Google reverse proxy exploit.

I think the question is a good one though. I think a diagram on how it works and some assurances from Control4 about security and regular 3rd party audits would be comforting. I'm personally hesitant to use the service, but I've worked on security scanning software and know most everything is exploitable given time.

It's good to understand risk and have some strategy to mitigate risks. It's also perfectly acceptable to take risks if you feel the value of a feature is worth the risk. I just advocate having an understanding of the risk rather than just blindly taking unknown risks. Mitigating risks can be keeping software current. Logging access. Checking the access. Limiting access. Segmenting services and networks etc. Nothing is totally secure forever and always. You can also pay people to care about all of this stuff and still not be totally secure. For those that feel they can or would be targeted they should use professional security services and take their advice.

I have similar concerns. I check the "Authorized Devices" tab in my.control4 fairly often to see which devices have connections to my system.

I would love to see the 4sight login support Collaboration Services like Gmail, Outlook and Others so I can enable 2FA. At a minimum, allow 2FA for the C4 Accounts. 

Archived