C4 Forums | Control4

Options for 8X8 Audio Matrix with Simple CT4 Interface

First posting so please be patient. Here is the situation:

I have 3 Sonos units and 3 UVerse boxes I would like to connect to the following 4 amps:

- CT4: 4-Zone Matrix Amplifier

- CT4: 8-Zone Matrix Amplifier 

- Denon AVR-2200

- Denon ACR 2400

The control er I have is the new EA5 unit.

CT4 offers a 16X16 Audio Switching amp (C4-16ZAMSV3-B) as a base case solution. However, this feel like overkill and comes at price I may not be able to justify for the what it does.

What are the alternatives that work well with CT4 and still provide 8X8 audio switching at competitive price? I need a fairly simply solution so the wife can use it without "complaining" at a fair price.

Thx

Steve K

Typically you lock the inputs of the matrix amps when you feed them with an audio matrix. So the 16x16 is ideal because you have 14 zones. If you consolidate some of the matrix amp zones down to follow each other and split the output of an 8x8 you can use the triad but you lose the ability to programmatically split those areas because you are using y adapters. If you dont lock your inputs on the amps there will likely be routing issues when multiple zones are being used

13 minutes ago, koepkesd@gmail.com said:

I have 3 Sonos units and 3 UVerse boxes I would like to connect to the following 4 amps:

- Denon AVR-2200

- Denon ACR 2400

CT4 offers a 16X16 Audio Switching amp (C4-16ZAMSV3-B) as a base case solution. However, this feel like overkill and comes at price I may not be able to justify for the what it does.

What are the alternatives that work well with CT4 and still provide 8X8 audio switching at competitive price? I need a fairly simply solution so the wife can use it without "complaining" at a fair price.

Thx

Steve K

Control4  TS-AMS8

How come you only need 8x8? Based on your equipment you have potentially 14 zones

Hey. Just call Control4 - C4, not CT4 that's a weird acronym.

Your are in luck my friend, Control4/Triad make an 8x8 matrix which is exactly what your asking for.

TS-AMS8

I have complained like 5 times that these arent on the control4 page or the triad page. Sending info about this to clients is a pain in the butt.

Because the sound quality is higher than the old 16x16 you mentioned the price is similar. Old 16x16 was $1750 CAD. New 8x8 Triad is $1575 CAD.

So there ya go. A whopping $175 in savings. Woop Woop ;)

But the other benefits are 1U rack size, better sound, More features, its worth the price.

EDIT Also based on what your saying I would go with the old 16x16 as 8x8 likely not gunna fit the bill

15 minutes ago, BraydonH said:

Hey. Just call Control4 - C4, not CT4 that's a weird acronym.

Your are in luck my friend, Control4/Triad make an 8x8 matrix which is exactly what your asking for.

TS-AMS8

I have complained like 5 times that these arent on the control4 page or the triad page. Sending info about this to clients is a pain in the butt.

Because the sound quality is higher than the old 16x16 you mentioned the price is similar. Old 16x16 was $1750 CAD. New 8x8 Triad is $1575 CAD.

So there ya go. A whopping $175 in savings. Woop Woop ;)

But the other benefits are 1U rack size, better sound, More features, its worth the price.

EDIT Also based on what your saying I would go with the old 16x16 as 8x8 likely not gunna fit the bill

Thanks for the quick response. The Triad 8X8 is saves about $300US which is going into the right direction. As you indicated not exactly a game changer either. Does the Triad unit integrate well with IP driver. Asking this as this is not a Control4 legacy product. 

Any other 8X8 options with IP control?

24 minutes ago, twmoonly said:

Control4  TS-AMS8

How come you only need 8x8? Based on your equipment you have potentially 14 zones

The two C4 amps have switching build in. If they each had a couple of passive outputs (like some other systems) per amp I be set today. The 3 Sonos units are ny primary driver. The Uverse boxes a nice add on but not required.

Will you be using the sonos at the same time as the uverse? If not you could run the uverse audio into the sonos then out of the sonos through some y adapters into each amp. Not ideal but would save you money. You need to determine if you need all those sources and where you want them available (What zones). Are you using all all zones on the matrix amps?

11 hours ago, koepkesd@gmail.com said:

- Denon AVR-2200

- Denon ACR 2400

Thx

Steve K

Hmmm.

Feed Sonos into EA5 (two stereo, one digital coax)

Connect one stereo out on the EA5 to each of the amps, digi coax out to each of the receivers

I'm not sure what the Uverse boxes have for connections, but from a quick google search they have two stereo outputs and an optical.

You do not mention how video is distributed but:

-Use one stereo output for each amp for the uverse

-get a cheap optical splitter and feed both receivers that way

Of course, the better way is to get an audio matrix....

Archived