C4 Forums | Control4

Need Integrator familiar with running music off HC1000 via HC800

C4freak

I have a 1000 on my project that I am replacing with an 800 as director. I already had the hardware. Running 2.9.1

ive read on these forums that it is possible to keep the music files on the 1000 while running 800 as Director.

The issue is that the dealers ive contacted are telling me that it is not possible without physically removing the HDD from the 1000. And even then they are not confident they know what they’re doing.

is there anyone who would be familiar with the process?

Why do you want to keep the HC1000 at all? It would be far more efficient to store music files on a USB drive connected to HC800 or NAS. And it would also likely be far more reliable and less prone to data loss given the age of HC1000 hardware. Let alone the fact that you will not be able to upgrade to contemporary versions of Control4 OS with an HC1000 in your project. 

This is the typical response from C4 dealers I’ve encountered.

I am happy with the capabilities of 2.9.1 and have no ambitions of adding any more capabilities. I am able to copy & paste mp3 files via my network connected windows pc onto the HDD in the HC1000. I worry that copying 1000s of songs, artwork, & playlists will inevitably have errors and potentially affect my ability to copy/paste new mp3s via PC as I currently do.

Again, if any dealers are comfortable with this process please let me know.

TIA

57 minutes ago, C4freak said:

This is the typical response from C4 dealers I’ve encountered.

I am happy with the capabilities of 2.9.1 and have no ambitions of adding any more capabilities. I am able to copy & paste mp3 files via my network connected windows pc onto the HDD in the HC1000. I worry that copying 1000s of songs, artwork, & playlists will inevitably have errors and potentially affect my ability to copy/paste new mp3s via PC as I currently do.

Again, if any dealers are comfortable with this process please let me know.

TIA

The option you didn’t like didn’t seem like a dealer upselling to make money so not sure what’s meant by a typical dealer response. You can get your own NAS and install it and point the hc800 in that direction.  I think the suggestion was that drive and hardware are old.  Are those files backed up?  Once that drive or hardware dies, which it will, you could be SOL.  

So I think he was just offering up another option that may change your process now but give you the same results with better odds at longevity.  

4 hours ago, eggzlot said:

The option you didn’t like didn’t seem like a dealer upselling to make money so not sure what’s meant by a typical dealer response. You can get your own NAS and install it and point the hc800 in that direction.  I think the suggestion was that drive and hardware are old.  Are those files backed up?  Once that drive or hardware dies, which it will, you could be SOL.  

So I think he was just offering up another option that may change your process now but give you the same results with better odds at longevity.  

Backing up the c4 HDD via network without adding another NAS is a good idea. I’d still prefer to keep the 1000 as a music server on the project since it is working perfectly fine. 

Given the  trivial cost of USB storage, there is only downside to using HC1000 in terms of hardware failure and inability to upgrade. And the time to restore  / recover when it does die.

Archived