C4 Forums | Control4

power reversing relay to drive dc motor

I have a client that just bought a house with Crestron and we are converting over to Control4.  They have a projector in a cut out with a door.  the door is controlled via a D.C. actuator that when voltage is applied will open and when you reverse the voltage will close.

I am not sure how to wire or program this.  Has anyone out there encountered this situation?  the wiring is in the Crestron phoenix connector so i might be able to transfer that but not sure what the programming would be since it is using 4 relays on the Crestron system.

and no i can not extract the crestron info. it is dead.

Only need two relays actually.

Your two wires to the actuator go to the common on the relays - then you take your power source (generally a 12v plug in but whatever it has now) then feed the positive from that into NO and negative into NC.

From there in the system you would use a dual relay driver (blind driver for example). Likely need to set them to Hold type (default) but depends on the door. Open and close programming as normal.

What will happen is that one relay closes, making that COM the positive, while the other remains open, the COM staying negative. And in reverse.

When both are open for whatever reason (system reset) , both COM are negative with no power flowing. In the unlikely event they're both closed, they are both positive....which also is a safe stat with no power going.

NOW note that this assumes you've made sure that this door operates on reversing voltage...

3 minutes ago, twmoonly said:

Why is it using 4 relays? Should be one relay for open one for close

Oh I know why. Overthinking on the integrator part. I could draw up a schematic for this using 4 relays as well.

UNLESS the relays used are SPST style relays. In that case it wasn't overthinking, just poor choice of relays 🤣

Archived