C4 Forums | Control4

Flic Buttons

Amr

Amr,

I believe Flic buttons use BLE to communicate, not sure if they are iBeacon, Eddystone or proprietary.

I have just put some BLE drivers up at https://github.com/davidmassot/Berto which allow advertisements from iBeacon devices to be used in Control4. I'm using this for proximity.

If Flic advertisements can be received by a standard BLE receiver eg. https://blog.aprbrother.com/product/ab-ble-gateway-4-0, then this would be relatively easy to implement.

David

• 2 weeks later...

Amr,

I now have Flic buttons working direct wit Control4, no IFTTT or Internet access required, thanks to https://github.com/50ButtonsEach/fliclib-linux-hci

I've got the setup working on a Raspberry Pi 3 B+ which acts as the BLE hub.

I've then used my MQTT Bridge to manage the messages between the Flic buttons, the Pi and Control4.

Communication is virtually instant.

Works a treat.

Thanks

David

1 hour ago, Amr said:

This worth trying David thanks, can't we use any of the commercially available BLE solutions like Flic Hub or Xiaomi, or whatever instead of using the Pi?

Not sure about Xiamoi but the Flic hub has does not have a open API as far as I can find hence why I used the PI. The install ins simple but a PI and insert the SD card with the software on it and all done. I'll publish the SD image with the drivers.

From Control4 you can then Identify buttons which allows you to pair the Flic button to the PI and then associate it to the Flic Button driver in Control4.

The setup is as simple as the Flic app.

OK, am trying to simplify the hardware and setup required for the whole MQTT - BLE, I'm currently testing MQTT over my Synology NAS, as for BLE, I will settle for the PI for Now until I find something else ...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
On 12/19/2018 at 11:30 PM, david@berto.co.uk said:

I'm putting together a PI setup with MQTT broker and FLIC server plus any other services I write. One gateway to cover all integrations.

If you would like to test get a PI 3 B+ and I'll send you the SD image.

David, Can't we use docker instead of PI, am using your suite of drivers over a Synology NAS and is working perfectly fine with Shelly's and Sonoff, I need to get the Flic working locally as well without IFTTT and without a PI?

On 12/19/2018 at 11:30 PM, david@berto.co.uk said:

I'm putting together a PI setup with MQTT broker and FLIC server plus any other services I write. One gateway to cover all integrations.

If you would like to test get a PI 3 B+ and I'll send you the SD image.

Ok, send me the image, just realized that I need the PI to act as a BLE, Synolgy+BT USB+Docker is just too complicated to work!

13 hours ago, david@berto.co.uk said:

Yep, the only reason I use the Pi is for the BLE.

I fixed the Hub driver so the install works. If you install a Pi 3b+ with latest Raspbian then follow the Hub install instructions it works a treat.

Thanks

David

Okay, I will also go for the Synology way as well, I have 🦟 up and running, BT adapter plugged in and working, so Flic Server is the only piece and I need, correct?

• 1 year later...
13 hours ago, J to the D said:

I am already using a Pi with the Berto drivers. Does anyone know if you still need the Flic hub?

Also, do the buttons then show as a device in Composer which you can then run programming on? 

No need for flic hub, u r replacing the hub with the Pi as a BLE gateway. And Buttons can be added as devices in IOT device driver.

On 4/28/2021 at 11:38 PM, Amr said:

No need for flic hub, u r replacing the hub with the Pi as a BLE gateway. And Buttons can be added as devices in IOT device driver.

Thanks for the info. I have ordered a Flic V2 to test and see how it goes. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/28/2021 at 11:38 PM, Amr said:

I have finally got my Flic V2 and connected to the Pi using the IOT device driver. Silly question but how do I now surface the button in Composer?

7 hours ago, J to the D said:

I have finally got my Flic V2 and connected to the Pi using the IOT device driver. Silly question but how do I now surface the button in Composer?

I don’t use Soft buttons in my Project, so u need the button in UI as a button or what are u looking for?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.