C4 Forums | Control4

Distributed Video Help

rf9000

On 2/9/2019 at 1:00 AM, rf9000 said:

I also found some from Altona that support HDCP 2.2. I dont think the Monoprice ones support HDCP 2.2. The Altona ones are linked below. These are much cheaper than the Just Add Power receivers. 

https://atlona.com/product/at-uhd-ex-70c-rx/

Geez...whatever  you do has got to do at least HDCP2.2!!! but the nightmare of HDCP doesn't stop there...if you want to use a matrix everything in the entire HDMI chain has to do HDCP 2.2... unless you get a proper matrix (say with half decent zone lockout) otherwise  it will become a nightmare....even so it still ends up being a half decent experience with the likes of handshaking latency, things failing in the chain etc and other associated carry on...

I mean look at the recent experience of "IloveControl" !!!!

READ THAT THREAD

If you want to "do multiple" do not skimp on price or dealer service...

For such a large project? to do it right?? it will cost you are fortune!...

That's why I have never done it. 

(I tried it once and sent a 6K matrix right back)

Over here the cost is simply prohibitive 

Isn't HDMI just dandy!!!

W

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Then HDCP 2.x will come out.. and 5K and you will want a new 5K screen for your home theatre and the whole thing will become obsolescent and...

Then 8K...

The entire industry is built upon this dream....

It's dictated by Hollywood DRM and the ludicrous HDMI protectionism that doesn't protect law abiding citizens at all !! 

All it does is protect their fat wallets and ruin consumers viewing experiences 

So It's best to have individual sources in my view 

If I wanted distributed video?... researching all the options for years around here?... I would do JAP simply for it's versatility 

But I simply can't afford it...

Anyway

Just IMO!!!!!

So I see the problem like this..

If you want 12 zone distributed video around your house...?

To do it right?

You spend upwards of 50K? to do it properly and correctly then probably 1K of maintenance a year with a dealer.. otherwise not at all...

Or you don't bother and spend around 1 or 2k like most  of us law abiding citizens who respect the rights of content providers and just use local sources

...or if you are like 99% of other folks out there around the world, you spend pretty much zilch and stream and bit torrent straight from you mobile device straight to your TV...

And Hollywood couldn't care less you are spending 50K for a slightly better picture (but wait.. a worse actual experience?!) 

Take your pick!

IMO!

Thanks for the replies. After getting feedback, doing research, and then weighing pros vs cons, I think Video Storm is the by far the best way to go. Inexpensive for the size systme I'm doing (I figure for 14 TVS with 6 sources, I can do it all for $4000) and some better technology then JAP (JAP dealers would disagree). To do all that for $4000+/- is really unbelievable when you compare costs almost to everything else.This doesnt include all the C4 remotes I would need though. Funny thing is, I still dont know if I should do it!!! My main two reasons for contemplating this system, 1. Getting direct TV and having NFL Ticket and not having to rent 14 boxes 2. Getting a couple of the small benefits like screen pop ups and screen tiling, and I guess having the single C4 remotes to make things seamless. But when I break it down again it is still hard to decide to do it. I talked to Direct TV and they said they could get me 14 boxes if I opened two separate accounts. If I selected a decent channel package for each account, my bill would be able $300 per month. That does not include internet services of course. When I compare that to cable, if I rent 14 HD boxes for each TV, it works out to be about $225 a month and that includes interent services too. Its just hard to beat the local cable company for what they can offer. I have tried time and time again. I really wish Direct TV would seriously develop the DirectTV Now app as that would be my solution to everything. It currently is only on Samsung TVs which is great for me, but it only allows 3 streams at once, doesnt offer local channels, and doesnt let you get the NFL ticket, which is weird. If it were able to to these things that it currently can't, it would be great. Just use your native apps on the TV itself and run a optical audio out cable to any receiver where you want stereo sound and boom, easy and convenient solution with no equipment to buy, no problems. But that as of right now isn't the case so left with what to do.  Shouldn't I focus more of the budget on automation items like blinds, etc instead of video system? It just seems that in 2-3 years from now, it will be obsolete with how everything is going. Streaming 4k content now is super easy and I can only imagine its going to get much easier and better. It would be great if the local cable companies developed an app for your TV for the customers that wanted it, were they could still charge you per stream and eliminate all equipment!! That has to be coming?

19 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

Thanks for the replies. After getting feedback, doing research, and then weighing pros vs cons, I think Video Storm is the by far the best way to go. Inexpensive for the size systme I'm doing (I figure for 14 TVS with 6 sources, I can do it all for $4000) and some better technology then JAP (JAP dealers would disagree). To do all that for $4000+/- is really unbelievable when you compare costs almost to everything else.This doesnt include all the C4 remotes I would need though. Funny thing is, I still dont know if I should do it!!! My main two reasons for contemplating this system, 1. Getting direct TV and having NFL Ticket and not having to rent 14 boxes 2. Getting a couple of the small benefits like screen pop ups and screen tiling, and I guess having the single C4 remotes to make things seamless. But when I break it down again it is still hard to decide to do it. I talked to Direct TV and they said they could get me 14 boxes if I opened two separate accounts. If I selected a decent channel package for each account, my bill would be able $300 per month. That does not include internet services of course. When I compare that to cable, if I rent 14 HD boxes for each TV, it works out to be about $225 a month and that includes interent services too. Its just hard to beat the local cable company for what they can offer. I have tried time and time again. I really wish Direct TV would seriously develop the DirectTV Now app as that would be my solution to everything. It currently is only on Samsung TVs which is great for me, but it only allows 3 streams at once, doesnt offer local channels, and doesnt let you get the NFL ticket, which is weird. If it were able to to these things that it currently can't, it would be great. Just use your native apps on the TV itself and run a optical audio out cable to any receiver where you want stereo sound and boom, easy and convenient solution with no equipment to buy, no problems. But that as of right now isn't the case so left with what to do.  Shouldn't I focus more of the budget on automation items like blinds, etc instead of video system? It just seems that in 2-3 years from now, it will be obsolete with how everything is going. Streaming 4k content now is super easy and I can only imagine its going to get much easier and better. It would be great if the local cable companies developed an app for your TV for the customers that wanted it, were they could still charge you per stream and eliminate all equipment!! That has to be coming?

do you seriously need all 6 sources out  into all of those 14TV's???!!! why not do the one critical source (in your case it seems DirectTV right?) into a couple of critical TV zones? and add zones with JAP later (if you ever need them) For example you could go with the JAP 749 POE transmitter (4 sources) in the rack ..that would cover most content.. and just add however many receivers you want (as you end up needing them...)?????

13 minutes ago, Brownbatsbreath said:

I use the NFL Sunday ticket app. Stream it using Apple TV. No directv needed. 

I also use directv now on Apple TV. It’s *ok*. I had sling and liked that better... but sling doesn’t have the weather channel and directv now does... and I love the weather channel. 

🤷‍♂️

You mean you have Direct TV mobile and stream it to your TV with Apple TV? I dont think that is the same as the native Samsung app for Direct TV. I would think that would work better

15 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

Funny thing is, I still dont know if I should do it!!! My main two reasons for contemplating this system, 1. Getting direct TV and having NFL Ticket and not having to rent 14 boxes 2. Getting a couple of the small benefits like screen pop ups and screen tiling, and I guess having the single C4 remotes to make things seamless. 

Another nice thing about VS is you can have sources like Files, security cameras, websites etc etc. It offers a lot of flexibility.

I'd say you should try it on a couple of TV's for a month or two and see how you like the experience.

If you ever want to have all TV's on the same content with whole house audio... like a game ... VS is going to give you that.

Most people find they have a variety of TV's. As they retire a TV and get something cutting edge they move the old set to another room. When you do this it's actually nice to be able to normalize the experience by having the same smart TV controller on each TV. 

Another nice thing about not having all those cable boxes could be less clutter in some spaces. All the VS stuff fits nice behind a TV even with low profile mounts.

I've been thinking like this guy "I still don't know I should do it" (Video distribution that is) for years now and have never actually  "done it..."

Whilst I wait to make up my darn mind, the apps keep getting better, the free streaming from my phone gets better.. and my kids moved out so I don't need so many zones anymore..

Who knows when my wife moves out (stops putting up with all my tech BS) ...and then I just need the ONE tv zone! 

I vote one for maximum flexility in all this!!!!

IMO!

8 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

do you seriously need all 6 sources out  into all of those 14TV's???!!! why not do the one critical source (in your case it seems DirectTV right?) into a couple of critical TV zones? and add zones with JAP later (if you ever need them) For example you could go with the JAP 749 POE transmitter (4 sources) in the rack ..that would cover most content.. and just add however many receivers you want (as you end up needing them...)?????

That really wouldnt work. So all the TVS that I dont have a JAP receiver on wouldnt get a signal. They would basically just be Netflix only TVs? That really would not work. Sometimes I think I'm the oddball here with that many TVs. But then again I dont understand it. In my home there will be a TV in each bedroom. I dont think that is odd, but maybe it is. So that is five TVs there. One for the great room, one for Garage, one for media room, one for the rec room, one for the upper rec room,  one for the office, etc. I guess maybe that is my problem!!! Maybe its way too many TVs...lol

1 minute ago, rf9000 said:

That really wouldnt work. So all the TVS that I dont have a JAP receiver on wouldnt get a signal. They would basically just be Netflix only TVs? That really would not work. Sometimes I think I'm the oddball here with that many TVs. But then again I dont understand it. In my home there will be a TV in each bedroom. I dont think that is odd, but maybe it is. So that is five TVs there. One for the great room, one for Garage, one for media room, one for the rec room, one for the upper rec room,  one for the office, etc. I guess maybe that is my problem!!! Maybe its way too many TVs...lol

LOL sure your'e not odd at all...I get the anxiety of all this.. been there with a family of daughters etc..

the issue is will all the people in each of those bedrooms want to use each and every source?

Or will they just stream from their phones...?

Or even spend their entire time on their phones (without the TV actually on at all)!

7 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

You mean you have Direct TV mobile and stream it to your TV with Apple TV? I dont think that is the same as the native Samsung app for Direct TV. I would think that would work better

No. 

It’s a native Directv Now app. Has nothing to do with Samsung TVs. 

Available on Appletv, Fire tv, Roku, etc. 

As Wap asked... do you really need more then 3 streams at the same time? 

5 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Another nice thing about VS is you can have sources like Files, security cameras, websites etc etc. It offers a lot of flexibility.

I'd say you should try it on a couple of TV's for a month or two and see how you like the experience.

If you ever want to have all TV's on the same content with whole house audio... like a game ... VS is going to give you that.

Most people find they have a variety of TV's. As they retire a TV and get something cutting edge they move the old set to another room. When you do this it's actually nice to be able to normalize the experience by having the same smart TV controller on each TV. 

Another nice thing about not having all those cable boxes could be less clutter in some spaces. All the VS stuff fits nice behind a TV even with low profile mounts.

Thanks you. Yes, I would either be using the Firestick or Nvidia so those both would fit nicely behind TV. Its an idea to try a few initially, but that really wouldnt work unless I wanted all other TVs to be without a TV signal. Things to think about I guess. Im also doing 32 zones of audio via Videostorm so that is another pro to the Videostorm system. You mentioned a game being played through the whole house. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was assuming I could add, lets say the media room's 5.1 system as a source to the audio matrix. So if I have the game on in that room, I could select "listen", select "Media 5.1" as a source and play it in any rooms I wanted. Is this not possible? And on that topic, what would be added as the source to the audio matrix? Is it the receiver that is added or is it the Direct TV box that is added as a source?

3 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

LOL sure your'e not odd at all...I get the anxiety of all this.. been there with a family of daughters etc..

the issue is will all the people in each of those bedrooms want to use each and every source?

Or will they just stream from their phones...?

Or even spend their entire time on their phones (without the TV actually on at all)!

Haha... Hilarious. Or have something on TV and they dont even look up to see what it is!

1 minute ago, rf9000 said:

Haha... Hilarious. Or have something on TV and they dont even look up to see what it is!

HA! sure ...oh they will "look up" alright when certain scenes pop up in Game of Thrones...

Lets just hope they have the volume turned down (for everyone else's sake) that's all....

3 minutes ago, Brownbatsbreath said:

No. 

It’s a native Directv Now app. Has nothing to do with Samsung TVs. 

Available on Appletv, Fire tv, Roku, etc. 

As Wap asked... do you really need more then 3 streams at the same time? 

I didn't know all of those devices had that app. Someone explained to me it was a contract with Samsung. But I guess thinking about it, they could have meant Samsung was the only TV manufacturer with whom they have a contract. As far as streams, I keep asking my self that and dreaming up scenarios, but yes there are times when I could see that happening. As im typing this, I'm watching TV in our living room, the kids are in their bedroom watching something, and my wife is sick so she is in another bedroom watching something. Maybe 5 streams (I said six sources because I was counting one Blu-ray player) is too much and I could get by with 4. Three streams I think may be pushing it though and there would be times where we would need more than 3. But of course, Direct Tv Now has to limit it to 3. Sometimes I think they are determined to not let me get their service!! I run into a roadblock every time I try

VS with a mobile license can stream all those sources to tablets over standard Wifi. 

3 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

Thanks you. Yes, I would either be using the Firestick or Nvidia so those both would fit nicely behind TV. Its an idea to try a few initially, but that really wouldnt work unless I wanted all other TVs to be without a TV signal. Things to think about I guess. Im also doing 32 zones of audio via Videostorm so that is another pro to the Videostorm system. You mentioned a game being played through the whole house. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was assuming I could add, lets say the media room's 5.1 system as a source to the audio matrix. So if I have the game on in that room, I could select "listen", select "Media 5.1" as a source and play it in any rooms I wanted. Is this not possible? And on that topic, what would be added as the source to the audio matrix? Is it the receiver that is added or is it the Direct TV box that is added as a source?

The VS audio matrix with the netplay allows you to sync video and audio sources so there are no lipsync issues.

4 minutes ago, Pounce said:

VS with a mobile license can stream all those sources to tablets over standard Wifi. 

The VS audio matrix with the netplay allows you to sync video and audio sources so there are no lipsync issues.

Would there be lip sync issues if I did it the way I was thinking?

Just now, rf9000 said:

Would there be lip sync issues if I did it the way I was thinking?

Hard for me to keep up. Which way was that? What is your scenario where you are playing the same channel on all TV's and playing the audio through the whole house?

I haven’t been all that impressed with Directv Now. The interface is clunky, kind of buggy at times. Not terrible or unusable, but if someone is used to a cable or satellite guide, it takes some getting used to. 

You should check out Sling too. I had them for awhile and they kept making improvements, I thought they were pretty good. Might offer more streams. 

Most of these services offer free trials and no contracts, so definitely consider trying them out. 

Just now, Pounce said:

Hard for me to keep up. Which way was that? What is your scenario where you are playing the same channel on all TV's and playing the audio through the whole house?

Well it wouldnt be on all TVs. Lets say I skipped Distributed Video system. I rented 14 HD Cable boxes, one at each TV. Say I wanted to add two of my rooms, like the Media Room and the Great Room 5.1 systems as sources to my audio matrix. What would actually be connect to the matrix for the source? the receiver of each 5.1 system, the TV? And then in that scenario, if I had the game on in those two rooms but wanted to play the audio throughout multiple rooms, would there be syncing issues?

5 minutes ago, Brownbatsbreath said:

I haven’t been all that impressed with Directv Now. The interface is clunky, kind of buggy at times. Not terrible or unusable, but if someone is used to a cable or satellite guide, it takes some getting used to. 

You should check out Sling too. I had them for awhile and they kept making improvements, I thought they were pretty good. Might offer more streams. 

Most of these services offer free trials and no contracts, so definitely consider trying them out. 

Sling isn't mentioned much where I'm from. I suppose with Sling there is no way to get local channels, right?

Archived