C4 Forums | Control4

Distributed Video Help

rf9000

Guys,

I have been looking into incorporating distributed, mainly because I will have many TVs and dont want to have to rent 12+ cable boxes or satellite boxes. I thought that a great solution would have been the DirectTV Now app on Samsung TVs, but after further research I have learned that this really isn't intended for what I wanted to do. I think that distributed video is sort of phasing out and  that  DirectTV Now app is the way things are going, but it currently has its limitations. Those being no local channels and that they only allow to buy up to 3 current streams. Its great that that the app is built into Samsung TVs, so its super convenient. Anyways, I have been looking at "Just add Power" and also Video Storm solutions. While doing this, I have ran across several other much lower cost systems claim to accomplish the same thing and just wondering if anyone has used them. One of them being the Monoprice Blackbird System and 4K/60Hz Receiver. They sell the little receivers for about $67 each. It looks like their transmitter allows up to four receivers, but just wondering if multiple systems can be chained together to get up to say 12 TVs. Or can those receivers be used with other systems?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wait, those Blackbird Monoprice receivers are HDCP 2.2 compatible:

4K Everyday: Enjoy video at resolutions up to 4K@60Hz and 1080p@60Hz, including 3D video, with support for the latest HDMI® and HDCP 2.2 specifications.

Anyone on this? Monoprice has a 4x4 matrix and a 8x8 matrix. I want to have a total of six Direct TV boxes with 14 TVs.  Could I buy two of these 8x8 matrix switches and hook four DirectTV boxes up to one 8x8 Matrix and two DirectTV boxes up to the other 8x8 matrix? Then just connect the 8 mostly used TVs to the matrix with the four DirectTV boxes and the other 6 TVs to the matrix with the two DirectTv boxes? Would this all integrate with C4?

The Atlona you linked is for HDBaseT technology, which would work with their HDBT switchers.

The monoprice, I wouldn't touch with a 10' pole, scratch that, make it a 100' pole.  I highly doubt they would even work for that price.  The licensing for HDMI/HDCP alone is more than that receiver!

JAP and VS are both IP based distribution systems that work over your local network. 

There are big differences between the 2 technologies. 

Just now, lippavisual said:

The Atlona you linked is for HDBaseT technology, which would work with their HDBT switchers.

The monoprice, I wouldn't touch with a 10' pole, scratch that, make it a 100' pole.  I highly doubt they would even work for that price.  The licensing for HDMI/HDCP alone is more than that receiver!

JAP and VS are both IP based distribution systems that work over your local network. 

There are big differences between the 2 technologies. 

ditto.  I have several Just Add Power components for sale, PM me and I can make you a great deal if you wanted to do a whole 6x14 system.  what you are proposing with multiple matrixes will be an absolute mess in my opinion.

Also, wouldn't suggest cascading video matrices at all.  Will be more problematic overall.

Do it right the first time.  How many people live in your home??  That will determine how many DTV boxes you need.  Add in any other sources you want.

You'll need (sources x 14 TVs) to size up your matrix.  At this size, IP would be your best bet.

Video distribution is the best thing we ever did at our house.  instead of 8 cable boxes and 8 dvd players etc....we only have 1 or 2 of anything.  Also I don't have a mess of wires and components at each TV.  High Wife approval Factor there.

While monoprice serves a purpose and i have use a few small things from them, I wouldn't rely on it for a major component like Video distribution.  You might also look at SnapAV with your dealer but I think the consensus there is that it is good, but not quite there yet, compared to JAP.

I would also vote that you shouldn't daisy chain matrices.

Good Luck.

I'm doing Video Storm for the Audio distribution. I have a 16x16 audio switch now and need to get another so I can have 32 zones. The ONLY reason I'm doing video distribution is because I dont want to rent 14 cable or Direct TV boxes. And actually, Direct TV wont even let me have that many. So if I dont do this, I will just get cable boxes. Video Distribution,  in my opinion, is way overpriced for what you really get out of it. Its phasing out. Netflix, HBO now, Direct TV Now, etc. I mean you can buy a 4k blu ray player for less than $100, but these manufactures are selling a transmitter or receiver for $400 each. Its ridiculous. I can easily do without video distribution, but just thought if I could find a reasonable way to do it, I would go for it. Is the video over IP solution better than the HDBASE solution like Altona, Wolfcamp, Leaf, etc.?

Thanks Adidaswood, but honestly, I haven't used a DVD or blu ray player in a couple years, as most people do not anymore. Not with Netflix, Vudu, etc. So that isn't a big deal. And for me this is new construction, so I have hideen component areas for any TVS that will have 5.1 or higher sound, so cables isnt an issue either

Your opinion is subjective.  Again, I couldn't live without it.

I'm going to bet that you have several rooms on your main floor that are in close proximity too each other.  You ever plan on having a superbowl party or similar and have every room tuned to it??  Without the video/audio distribution, you're going to have echo city going on in your home.

The audio switch you have is great, but if you have 32 zones, you should have the 32 x 32 version instead of cascading 2- 16 x 16's.  

Since its new construction, you are doing it right by planning ahead.  Do you have a local dealer?  If so, what do they say?

I personally have the Binary 8x8 HDBaseT and it has been rock solid.  Only issue I have ever run into is that we misplaced on of the receiver baluns and it would get hot and the video would blink off and on every 10 minutes or so.  Took forever to figure it out, but once we did, I haven't seen any other issues.  
I barely use the DVD player either, but insert component of your choice and the argument applies.  Apple TV, roku,..etc...etc...  I also don't find the TV apps super usable when it comes to passing the audio around to remote equipment.  Can it be done yes, but more of a pain than anything else.

However if you don't mind buying all of that 12 or 14 times, that works too.  I personally wouldn't want to try and keep up with the rate of change on some of this stuff.  As I said I only have 1 or 2 of anything, vs 8-12.

Sounds like you have a way to hide the stuff, so i dont' think anyone will knock you for going that route either.    Just wouldn't buy the cheap stuff if you decide on Video Distribution.

The Video Storm is actually a 38x38, they dont have a 32x32. I visited with VideoStorm several times about this and they said that there is no signal deterioration, etc when using two 16x16 vs. one 38x38. They said signal would be the exact same

My mistake on the switch size, but my point is still valid.  Of course there won't be signal degradation but it will be challenging for your dealer.  Again, it could work, but is not the "right" way of doing things.

Sounds like you have your mind made up already though.  Good luck with the build and hope it works out for you.

Yes. But that is what it always comes down to. The dealer always wanting to do it the "right way", which is totally understandable, but always more expensive. Versus other solutions that will work, and maybe take a little extra time to program, but cost alot less. I already had a 16x16 sitting around. So instead of trashing it and buying the 38x38 (whereas I dont need 38 zones anyways), I thought I would use it, buy another, and get 32 zones. Which works great for me because I want 26 zones of speakers, and then I can use the remaining six zones for the rooms where I want subwoofers.

1 hour ago, rf9000 said:

Thank you for your input. Does everything have to be ridiculously expensive for it to work? LOL

The reviews on the monoprice stuff seem good.

I went through 2 monoprice matrix in 1 year.  Have had videstorm for 4+.  Big difference.  Buy once cry once. 

Thanks eggzlot. I just dont like the idea of using Firesticks, etc. It just seems cheap to me? The guys that sell "Just Add Power" say that Videostorm doesn't compare, but I suppose that goes without saying. I could use NVidia, which seems like it would work better, but here is my question. When all TVs have NVidia boxes connected, and are turned on, what comes up as a menu? Is it the Nvidia menu? How would I select say my DirectTV box, Netflix, etc.? Please walk me through what this would look like

I have been looking at 8x16 and 16x16 HDMI to HDBaseT Matrix Switches, and the price on them is just ridiculous. Its almost laughable in my opinion. I understand that time is taken to create, develop, etc these switches, but in the end it is a box of connections and wires inside. So asking $15,000 to $20,000 for one of these just blows my mind. Is there a 2 carat diamond included in the accessories? LOL

If all we were paying for is hardware and you view software as all the same, then by that token just about everything should cost way less!

Keep in mind that control4 has to be able to integrate well with the hardware.. Which means well written drivers, testing, etc... All costs money.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, rf9000 said:

I have been looking at 8x16 and 16x16 HDMI to HDBaseT Matrix Switches, and the price on them is just ridiculous. Its almost laughable in my opinion. I understand that time is taken to create, develop, etc these switches, but in the end it is a box of connections and wires inside. So asking $15,000 to $20,000 for one of these just blows my mind. Is there a 2 carat diamond included in the accessories? LOL

https://www.amazon.com/HDbaseT-SWITCHER-Receivers-CONTROL4-AUTOMATION/dp/B07MZ4T21Q/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8&qid=1549642684&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=no%2Bhassle%2Bav&smid=A1LX80P7YJ2ZBE&th=1

Archived