C4 Forums | Control4

Best Poe panasonic camera

I recently picked up a couple of BL-C101A cameras for my daughter's room and playroom. For the $130 price tag, they're not bad. The audio pick up is decent, and the Panasonic recording software is rock solid. Now that Panasonic has released the 16 camera version for free, it was a no brainer to stick with Panasonic cameras. I have a BB-HCM403A in the garage, which produces a much nicer picture, but the BL-C101A works fine for the interior rooms. They do not work well in low light though...I think they're 3 lux rated. I also like that they're a little more discreet than the normal Panasonic body.

Speaking of cameras, anyone have recommendations on Panasonic outdoor POE cameras?

Rob

BL-C101A

jpeg1.jpg

BL-C101A

jpeg2.jpg

BB-HCM403A

jpeg3.jpg

• 3 months later...
The BL-C101A uses a Panasonic proprietary POE, the injector is included with the camera.

My dealer used the Panasonic Fixed Field Camera driver.

Rob

Has anyone tried these cameras with a standards based POE switch and confirmed they are not interoperable ?

I have heard bad things about using wireless cameras. It sounds like you guys are using these successfully?

Are they battery powered?

The panasonics work as well as the wireless network you connect them too.

They are regular WiFi devices so all the standard WiFi variables are in play, but they are much more reliable than other wireless cameras like baby monitors, etc.

They still require a power source, but it's easier to find a wall outlet than an ethernet port in most rooms. I've thought about wiring up a little battery pack for one, just never really needed one.

I have heard bad things about using wireless cameras. It sounds like you guys are using these successfully?

Are they battery powered?

The panasonics work as well as the wireless network you connect them too.

They are regular WiFi devices so all the standard WiFi variables are in play' date=' but they are much more reliable than other wireless cameras like baby monitors, etc.

They still require a power source, but it's easier to find a wall outlet than an ethernet port in most rooms. I've thought about wiring up a little battery pack for one, just never really needed one.[/quote']

Thanks!

At my house with the conduit I have ran it is easier to get an ethernet cable to a cameras location than it is a power cord that has been plugged into an outlet.

Good to know that these work well and are reliable though.

The panasonic wireless cameras behave extremely well on saturated Wifi areas. I see 30+ SSIDs from my house and occasionally my other wireless devices (laptops, airpanels etc.) have issues due to interference from my neighbors' pre-n routers, but the pannys are always fine.

The BL-C101A uses a Panasonic proprietary POE' date=' the injector is included with the camera.

Rob[/quote']

Has anyone tried these cameras with a standards based POE switch and confirmed they are not interoperable ?

Reposting - Has anyone plugged the Pani camera in question to a standards based POE switch and confirmed (or not) interoperability ?

The BL-C101A uses a Panasonic proprietary POE' date=' the injector is included with the camera.

Rob[/quote']

I did not try the camera with my POE switch, but Panasonic pretty clearly labels that camera as being proprietary POE.

It all depends on the model of the camera, some are not PoE at all, some are proprietary (although I think they are discontinued) and most of the new models are standard PoE. I know that they are now using an actual PoE label on most of the new business models and they list the actual af standard instead of noting a requirement for the panasonic specific mid-span adapter.

I haven't used the C101 so I have no idea what works with it.

Archived