C4 Forums | Control4

Strange problem with keypad LED

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, back home now (ultra-long day at the factory). I'll get model numbers and I think I screwed-up and said the Linksys is a router. It's a 8 port switch. Dealer did entire install so sorry sometimes I forget things.

thecodeman-

Ok, here's the switch gear rundown in order-

1st Run:

Verizon FiOs modem

Linksys EZXS88W 8 port router

Netgear DES-1008PA PoE switch

HC-300 director (Zigbee off)

2nd. Run

Linksys EZX88W (same one as above)

Netgear RP614 switch

HC-300 (Zigbee on)

Possibly two of the more relevant things that happens is that I loose 4Sight ability (no controller associated with account) and I loose association between "channels" and the logos that go with them. The artwork just drops off all established channels.

ILoveC4- Man I gotta say sorry for this royal thread-jack here. Thanks for entertaining my problem. Wife sure was mad last night when her 5.1 system went down with the ship. I was up late trying to just get the TV and AVR shutdown since the SR-250 went dead too. No lovin for me tonight but at least lighting is back to working as programmed. Hey, LEDs are now working too! Problem solved, I'll just power-cycle the hell out of everything like I do at work.

thecodeman-

Ok, here's the switch gear rundown in order-

1st Run:

Verizon FiOs modem

Linksys EZXS88W 8 port router

Netgear DES-1008PA PoE switch

HC-300 director (Zigbee off)

2nd. Run

Linksys EZX88W (same one as above)

Netgear RP614 switch

HC-300 (Zigbee on)

Possibly two of the more relevant things that happens is that I loose 4Sight ability (no controller associated with account) and I loose association between "channels" and the logos that go with them. The artwork just drops off all established channels.

Ok well the trick here, is that you've got two routers most likely on the same subnet. This can be very difficult to configure properly without causing some network weirdness. Ideally, if you were segmenting your network, it would be across a layer 3 switch...but that's not needed and I digress.

Is there any reason that you have two routers? Is the one in the first run the "real" router, whereas the second one is serving up wireless?

^Hey did you decide on some outdoor speakers yet?

No, not yet. The weather has been bad here and I haven't been thinking about it.

My dealer said some new stuff is coming out soon (like in the next week) that he thinks I should wait to see pricing on.

^^So, If I understand the issue could be the routing element of the Verizon modem in addition to the Linksys router is not good practice. What I meant to say is that there is only one Linksys and one port is tied-up with the director and another port has the other HC-300 (Zigbee on) attached. So, the Verizon is serving-up the DHCP and providing WiFi. The Linksys is marshalling both HC-300s.

Sounds like you have 2 DHCP servers handing out addresses on your network. Best thing to do is disable DHCP on your Verizon modem and assign your Linksys router a static IP and have that as your only DHCP server.

The reason you can't access your system through 4sight is because you have different subnets and no port forwarding enabled.

^I'm not avoiding this but it is embarrassing to say I can't get into the modem. Dealer established user/pass and I tried what I though was it but no dice. I really think you guys are on the right track with my prob. Dealer may not follow this line though and that might be a critical ommission. He's not available so here I sit.

I may have really botched the description of my system but the Linksys is a switch and not a router. Is this OK to use? I was reading on the linksys site that this is not good practice to connect a swith to the modem followed by all your devices that need to hit on the internet...

Is there a sticker on the Verizon modem that says what the userid/password is? My AT&T modem has one. Either way, you'll want to make sure the dealer leaves you some documentation with the correct login info.

Where on the linksys site does it say not to use a switch after your modem? I would be extremely interested in reading that. Because I dont know of any 48 port modems :(

Right, you have the Linksys EZXS88W, which is a switch. It's safe to use this switch after the modem, which is a common network practice.

http://www.linksysbycisco.com/US/en/products/EZXS88W

You are correct in thinking that you need to hook it up in this order:

Modem

| |

Switch switch

| |

Devices on the network

The modem is acting as the router in this case and should be serving up dhcp for your devices, but all Contol4 gear is better suited to static IP addresses. I'm assuming you're posting from a computer on the same network -

check your ip information by going to a command prompt and typing ipconfig/all. this will tell you what your computer uses for an ip address, subnet mask, default gateway, and dns servers. Make sure that your Control4 gear uses the same (but with a different ip address, otherwise you'll have conflicts).

At this point, we'd need to see the ip information from your control4 gear, and what your modem is doing as far as services.

Code- no, I'm on a different computer at the moment. I know my dealer already told me statics were set-up but what this means I don't know.

lippavisual- could this be a problem? he does have it cascaded to the second HC-300, the one handling the Zigbee traffic. This is what I'm seeing is that second switch is passing traffic like mad. Almost like the HC-300 is sending extraneous commands and tying itself up. Last night, I had to reset this one because wife said she lost control of her favorite TV show.

That's a pretty easy thing to test out, if your switch is cascaded. Simply unplug the link between the two switches, make sure both switches are connected to the modem. Power cycle everything and see what happens. Might take a day or so for it to stabilize.

Yeah, it's easy! OK, will do that tonight. Nothing to loose seeing as the director can't get to the internet anyway... I miss Rhapsody already...

But, actually, why it that? Is it still a subnet or port-forwarding issue too? I can't check these thigs until dealer comes back around.

No it shouldnt be a subnet as you only have one router. It might be a port forwarding but I doubt it, it's not something you have to do too often.

You may just need to put the IP addresses of your controllers into the DMZ on your firewall. As much as I hate to say it, that was the easiest way for it to work for me on ATT uVerse.

Archived