ILoveControl

Question

• Answers 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Posted Images

Am struggling to understand your issue, sorry about that, I personally have zero problems with all Pucks. Also if the link with C4 controller is dead, Pucks will continue to function normally ...

On 3/14/2019 at 3:45 PM, ILoveControl said:

Sorry for such a noob question, but what does this (NEW CONTROL4 WIRELESS PUCK DIMMER SWITCH) do. Is this a nice way of controlling multiple dimmers in one room without having hundreds of dimmer switches on the wall?

It’s suitable for retrofit jobs where u keep your normal switches and dimmers setup and u convert them to C4 lighting wireless based control ... One Puck work with one load, it’s not advisable to have all Pucks solution as it’s very expensive that way.  I use it mainly to have a decent Zigbee coverage house wide ...

21 hours ago, Amr said:

Am struggling to understand your issue, sorry about that, I personally have zero problems with all Pucks. Also if the link with C4 controller is dead, Pucks will continue to function normally ...

I see where the misunderstanding may come from. I have a puck that is not connected to a toggle switch. It doesnt have a switch at all (besides the viritual once in director). Its hidden behind a blank cover. So I can only control the puck in the C4 app, with the remote control, or an on-screen device. Or if I program it to "copy" a C4 dimmer/switch that is connected to a different load.

I have two different loads in my living room. One with the C4 dimmer/switch, and one with the puck. When pressing the C4 dimmer/switch top button, I have programmed director to press the viritual top button of the puck, which is"load on". But, it seems like the puck waits for the C4 dimmer/switch load to be 100% finished turning on or off before the puck activates its load. 

So. When I press the C4 dimmer/switch button, the load connected to the C4 Dimmer/switch turns on. Then director presses the viritual top button on the puck. Then the second load turns on. Not very smooth at all.

If I use the app, remote, or on screen device,  both loads turns on/off at the same time.

I hope it made sense this time. 

Now I get it, am sure you have a reason to do that, i.e, no way to attach a toggle switch. This is not what the pucks are designed for, I always attach a toggle switch to it beside controlling it from any UI, San i don’t have any C4 Dimmer/Switch in my house, I don’t know how it works.

Do you have a way when pressing the C4 top button to just turn on the Puck?

21 hours ago, Amr said:

Now I get it, am sure you have a reason to do that, i.e, no way to attach a toggle switch. This is not what the pucks are designed for, I always attach a toggle switch to it beside controlling it from any UI, San i don’t have any C4 Dimmer/Switch in my house, I don’t know how it works.

Do you have a way when pressing the C4 top button to just turn on the Puck?

No, I guess I could make a button for it on the switch. But then I would have to press two buttons. I would think that the same problem would occur if two switches/dimmers were connected viritually as well, or all your pucks. 

On 3/16/2019 at 3:42 PM, Pounce said:

Yes, and various pucks like Shelly(1)(2)(2.5). They can all work with various levels of effort and configuration. I'd still prefer a retrofit C4 puck on Zibee. At the moment I'm working out proof of concept for using Zigbee2MQTT so I can use a wide range of Zigbee products integrating with C4 using MQTT. I'm also using Tasmota firmware (using MQTT) on various Wifi based products like those Shelly pucks and various off the shelf Wifi based switches and even RGBW bulbs.

My two main objectives are:

• Ensure all lighting control is local and does not go to or use the cloud.
  • Use the switches we like for the majority of the locations in the various homes. At the moment this is the Legrand Adorne line.

I wish I could just fast forward this technology 5 years because at the moment the options are wide with trade-off's. In 5 years I'd imagine there will be some strong winners and better products. There are some products with great smart internals, but the build quality is crap. That's where C4 is a solid choice if you like the look. Nice products at a cost relative to the build quality.

Pounce, are you successful with this yet? All Zigbee2mqtt are focused around HA or HAB, am trying to achieve exactly your goals, also there is a new Tuya Zigbee to IP hub that will try to flash with Tasmota and see if this would work with my setup!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.