C4 Forums | Control4

HDD upgrade

spl147

Anything is *possible*, but there's no instructions or support for upgrading it, and it'll void any warranty.

RyanE

obviously.........but does the controller *know* the drives id? or can the drive just be cloned to a larger drive? and what is the drive limit of the controller? or OS? linux right?

why would you want to if you can add a usb or nas drive.

on another point, i think i read a while back that control4 (or maybe nas's) couldnt handle (accurately) 1tb or above?

nas is slow......usb is added clutter........would rather keep it clean and just upgrade internally..........

i will post my findings!!!!!!

Control4 and dealers wouldn't give that information if we had it readily.

Dealers are not going to be doing it, and most homeowners, either, as it only:

1) kills the warranty

2) is another thing that has not been long-term tested, so is likely to be less reliable

Good dealers are all about reliability, not hackability.

RyanE

Control4 and dealers wouldn't give that information if we had it readily.

Dealers are not going to be doing it, and most homeowners, either, as it only:

1) kills the warranty

2) is another thing that has not been long-term tested, so is likely to be less reliable

Good dealers are all about reliability, not hackability.

RyanE

so just say I DONT KNOW...........

hacking? by upgrading the HDD? less reliable? thats funny....

Did you just accuse Ryan of not knowing?

Not knowing, and not talking to you are different things.

YOU need to back down

Brent

he is giving standard answers like you hear when u call a tech support line..........

If you understand Linux partitioning *and* you don't care (or don't have) warranty it's a straight forward task. If at least one of these is not true, this project is not for you, seriously. And regarding the comment below that NAS is too slow, what exactly is it that you think you'll be doing off the internal drive that makes a NAS too slow to handle?

If you understand Linux partitioning *and* you don't care (or don't have) warranty it's a straight forward task. If at least one of these is not true, this project is not for you, seriously. And regarding the comment below that NAS is too slow, what exactly is it that you think you'll be doing off the internal drive that makes a NAS too slow to handle?

PeterM1

Please do not question spl147.

He is better than all of us combined

While I agree with the comments about using a NAS as a better solution, I think SPL147's question has validity. What if the hard drive in the controller is failing? What options does one have?

a) Buy a new controller?

B) Replace the hard drive?

If replacing the hard drive is the preferred option, what would be the problem with installing a larger hard drive.

Replacing the drive is something that should be handled at control4 under warranty - these aren't exactly designed to be field-upgradeable units.

That is my take on it. If you buy things the proper way, you have that two year warranty.

While I agree with the comments about using a NAS as a better solution, I think SPL147's question has validity. What if the hard drive in the controller is failing? What options does one have?

a) Buy a new controller?

B) Replace the hard drive?

If replacing the hard drive is the preferred option, what would be the problem with installing a larger hard drive.

If the controller is under warranty have the hardware replaced under your warranty.

If the controller is not under you could send it to the manufacturer or a authorized service center to have a new drive installed. I view it just as many other devices you have in your house. If your 47" TV failed after it was out of warranty you would probably call a service technician to fix it. I doubt you would try to purchase a 50" screen and try to replace it and make it a bigger TV.

I have a PC at home that I purchased that runs Windows. It came with a set of restore disks. My hard drive was failing so I purchased a new drive that was the same size. I purchased a drive of the same size because the restore disks will not work with a bigger drive. It is what it is.

My suggestion is to get a bigger drive and try it. The best that can happen is that it will work and we will be awestruck. The worst that can happen is that it wont work and at the very worst you fry your controller. It is your hardware and you can do what ever you want to it.

"If your 47" TV failed after it was out of warranty you would probably call a service technician to fix it. I doubt you would try to purchase a 50" screen and try to replace it and make it a bigger TV"

I don't know about that! :)

Archived