C4 Forums | Control4

Normal Operation

I have a question about my control4 setup. on all of my TV’s (8) when I turn a tv on with the control4 remote control it will go to the control4 screen then default back to one of the regular tv channel, we have to press the control4 remote again to get it back to the

control4 screen, but after that all is good, but is this normal? If not what can be done to fix this?

I talked to the dealer but he has not been any help.

Which one is the one running navigator for the TV that is having issues, and how is it connected to the controller, and what are the bindings?

The tv's that are having this issue are hooked up to the HC 500. There is only one TV hooked up to the HC 300 and there is no problem with it.

One of the Tv's is hooked up to a Comcast HD box.

Yes this is normal operation when streaming multiple on-screens with one controller though a video matrix switch. You have to hit the 4 button 4 times or in programming have it when the four button is pressed send the 4 button command a few more times.

Yes this is normal operation when streaming multiple on-screens with one controller though a video matrix switch. You have to hit the 4 button 4 times or in programming have it when the four button is pressed send the 4 button command a few more times.

Huh?

I know Matt knows his shizz as good or better than anyone here, but I don't think this is right.

I have one navigator for four TV's, and three of the TV's get used everyday. I have never had to press the four button multiple times, other than once when using the photo screensaver it got kind of funky. At any rate, when I press "4", it pulls up the GUI. No pushing it again, no TV channel in between, and no special programming to simulate multiple button presses.

Is it possible that his TV doesn't have discreet input codes, and the dealer couldn't figure out how to get to the correct source with a single push of the "4" button? I had a similar issue on an older Panasonic plasma that doesn't have discreet inputs. My dealer had to create a macro that went through each of the TV inputs to get to the right source.

Rob

I guess that could be the case, I think didn't think about that.

Every TV should have both discrete input and on/off. It is so stupid how some don't.

Is that really a hard thing to implement?

I agree that it would be nice if all devices had discrete codes.

I have seen TVs that did not have discrete on/off or input selection on the native remote that still had discrete codes. I have a JVC TV that did not have discrete codes on the remote and I was able to find the codes on Remote Central.

It is not uncommon for manufacturers to use the same control system for an entire model line of devices. The manufacturer can increase profit if they standardize on some of the sub-systems and offer different remotes for different models. Profit margins are razor thin on TVs as you know.

When I integrate components into a customers system I have to determine how much effort it will take to find discrete codes for an unknown/unsupported device or tell that customer that it might not be worth the effort of time (time =money) to fully integrate the device.

To be honest, building, testing and debugging drivers can be time consuming. This is why us "dealer types" would rather use known working equipment as opposed to equipment that we can't be sure will work.

When I integrate components into a customers system I have to determine how much effort it will take to find discrete codes for an unknown/unsupported device or tell that customer that it might not be worth the effort of time (time =money) to fully integrate the device.

To be honest, building, testing and debugging drivers can be time consuming. This is why us "dealer types" would rather use known working equipment as opposed to equipment that we can't be sure will work.

Understatement of the day right there... it is a constant battle. In fact I have one situation in mind where the client INSISTED on using a piece of junk LCD (because he already had it of course) and by the time it was integrated and fully functional (with quite a few work arounds and IR learning), he could have purchased a new TV instead of having us FORCE the POS to work. Just silly sometimes.

Thanks for the input a dealer out of Columbia, SC, is going to login into my system and take a look at my setup when I return back to town.

I will post the update after he looks at it.

This has been the case with some panasonic tv's I've run into. The only "discrete" ended up being the pc-input. So basically you would have to emit that code and toggle up or down so many times using that input as a reference point. So basically you would see a few input flips when using that particular tv. Lesson is that we stopped using that tv.

Archived