C4 Forums | Control4

Anyone using Popcorn Hour NMT?

phiction4

I've got a few PCH in the field. The actually do work pretty well. I had to train customers initially to reboot if PCH froze. I havent had a PCH call for quite a while.

Another option, which was listed earlier is AppleTV... running XBMC and Boxee. I've never had to reboot the ATV... and XBMC thru navs works well. Only downside is 1080i/p playback. :(

ATV uses less energy than HTPC, and no PC maintenance.

I really do have a PCH for sale if anyone wants it.

I'll trade you for a sr-250.

• 5 weeks later...

I wanted to give a follow up on the PCH. I got it and I love it. The wait was a drag (it took about 2-3 weeks). The wireless option a waste for me, because when I stream media wirelessly it has a very adverse impact on the C4. The remote and C4 become sluggish and seems to miss signals. I'm guessing they are fighting for wireless Ghz space. I probably should tweek what channel my wifi is transmitting on but I'm lazy, besides I have a CAT5 run and a nice Cisco switch with Gb uplink to the distribution switch. I don't know if having the wireless router and C4 in the same cabinet is the problem or not but I'm sure it can't help. Oh well...

Back to the PCH; I have it running and it's super stable. There is a bit of a learning curve but once you figure it out it's pretty great. I don't have a blue-ray player, but I have a pc with a blue-ray drive so I can rip BR discs to my 1.5 TB harddrive in the PCH and view movies on my Kuros in 1080P...this is awsome for me because I couldn't watch BR on arguably one of the best Televisions on the market. Like I said I have 1.5 TB HD in the PCH and I'm using the PCH as my NAS, I have moved all of my music to that drive and I have moutned that drive with my C4. I like this better becasue for some reason the Norton internet security the PC where my music was stored kept interferring with C4. I would have to disable the norton for the C4 to mount the share. I think you all realize the problems there.

Also with PCH, I am running Playon which allows me to view movies over the web via my netflix account and I also stream mlb.tv (although I haven't done it yet, it's my understanding that you can stream HULU and CBS.com via PCH as well). It also reads files in rar archives which awsome and it has built in torrent downloader. On top of that is consumes 10% of the energy than most PC's.

I'm using YAMJ, it took a while for me to figure it out and you have to update it when you add new media, and you can't use the c4 interface. However the YAMJ is actually nicer in my opinion (that's just my opinion so please don't fill up the post with idiot arguments abut what's better...PLEASE!). I don't mind the YAMJ because as of right now all of my media is store in the same place. I'm glad I didn't buy the 777, what a waste it would be now. I'm ripping my dvd collection to the PHC HD with Slysoft...a bit tedious, but no sacrafice no glory.

I know this is a lot of PCH love, but it's a solid solution contrary to what some people in this post have been saying. I realize this is my opinion so I'll give my own disclaimers, my tastes may vary from yours so please research the PCH decide for yourself if it's right for you.

• 3 weeks later...
Slim to none. PCH was not helpful to the folks at C4, and the integration was attempted by Alan, but you have to "break" the PCH firmware. It's kind of messy.

Ok I understand that but I thought it was actually NMT and that the PCH was just one of many manufacturers. I am curious why Control 4 doesn't support a bigger selection of media players though. There are a lot of them out there like the TVIX line. I guess the problem I have is the Netgear is lacking in several areas and costs about twice as much.

There's another player that just came out, I posted about it in another thread but the name escapes me at the moment. The benefit to it, is that the firmware is open source and that it plays more formats than the PCH. Or you can always try XBMC, it's free if you have the hardware to run it already like a pc or first gen xbox.

There's another player that just came out, I posted about it in another thread but the name escapes me at the moment. The benefit to it, is that the firmware is open source and that it plays more formats than the PCH. Or you can always try XBMC, it's free if you have the hardware to run it already like a pc or first gen xbox.

I used to run XBMC years ago. Does it integrate right into C4 the way the Netgear does? I already have a 777 fully loaded and don't want to look through 2 different databases for my videos

Yes' date=' it does.[/quote']

Can you expand on that a little? Does it combine all online videos into the C4 video interface? Pull in the cover art from XBMC? Do you have to use the XBMC interface?

All videos that are capable of being viewed through the c4 interface, will be lumped together when you browse by coverart, regardless if it's stored on a 777ES disc changer or on a NAS.

Yes, it pulls coverart for XBMC, otherwise it wouldnt be nearly as good of a solution. There are a lot of others that dont give the cover art but then you loose the "consistent UI".

You do not have to use the XBMC interface if you do not want to.

Archived