C4 Forums | Control4

How would you use Announcements

lets say i want to have a wav file play when i open a door when i come home at night "Good Evening Sir" or whatever i wanted. Is the Announcement played when a door sensor is triggered or can it be linked to a press of the light in the house?

I have announcements programmed with the freezer door in garage, back gate, and to tell me what video sources are in use in other parts of the house before I select one. That way I don't start watching the same DVR my wife is watching downstairs. She gets pissed when I change the channel accidentally during one of her shows.

I love the announcements, and it will impress your kids and friends when the house talks to you.

Where is a good place to find pre recorded announcements. I would love to find something in a womans voice ( of course). I know that c4 only allows wav files but even if they are mp3 i can convert them.

thanks for all the help

thecodeman and his insane love of HAL brought back to the forefront of discussion again eh?

I like the toilet announcement Matt, that would be great for the kids. Too bad the bathrooms (aside from the master bath) don't have speakers in them.

Iv been using Garage Band on my mac, record my voice and there are all sorts of ways to change it. sounds great and doesn't have that computer sound. I had I guy with a playlist called "Hot tub Love" when he selected his playlists from a 6 button the announcement agent would let him know what playlist was selected, any way he wanted a deep Barry White type voice that I easily made in Garage band by altering my voice worked great and he loved it

... I have announcements programmed with the freezer door in garage, back gate, and to tell me what video sources are in use in other parts of the house before I select one. That way I don't start watching the same DVR my wife is watching downstairs...

That's a great idea!! I've been looking for a solution to that problem.

How do you program these announcements? What do you use as the trigger?

thecodeman and his insane love of HAL brought back to the forefront of discussion again eh?

I like the toilet announcement Matt, that would be great for the kids. Too bad the bathrooms (aside from the master bath) don't have speakers in them.

Get you some speaker points. :) I have them everywhere…

... I have announcements programmed with the freezer door in garage' date=' back gate, and to tell me what video sources are in use in other parts of the house before I select one. That way I don't start watching the same DVR my wife is watching downstairs...[/quote']

http://www.c4forums.com/viewtopic.php?id=3306&p=1

... I have announcements programmed with the freezer door in garage' date=' back gate, and to tell me what video sources are in use in other parts of the house before I select one. That way I don't start watching the same DVR my wife is watching downstairs...[/quote']

I use contact sensors. There are several ways to do it, and it can be done on the cheap.

My wife loves the new 'kids time to come inside' button.

I programmed a custom button on the 7" TS to announce 'kids time to come inside'. The announcement comes from several pair of TruAudio 8" rock speakers in the back yard. No more standing on the deck yelling at the kids for dinner. :)

Also, when someone triggers the motion at the front door the house (and backyard if we're playing back there) announces 'someone is at the front door.

Announcements is the bomb yo!

I use contact sensors. There are several ways to do it, and it can be done on the cheap.

Yup, I understand the need for contact sensors for doors and such. I guess better stated how did you program the video sources announcement bit? I have a A/V Matrix and it is great for sharing sources but the only problem is when the channel gets changed and you didn't realize somebody was already watching that source in another room. Wondering how to program the announcements you mentioned.

Questions for those using announcements:

1) What kind of delay are you having from when the announcement is activated to when it is actually played?

2) What kind of controller are you using?

3) How many zones are playing the announcement?

I have a cardaccess wireless motion sensor on my garage and have the doorbells tied into C4 to make an announcement. Using a hc-300 w/ 4 zones there is about a 3-4 second delay. When I go 5 or more zones the announcement is not in snyc w/ all zones.

Thanks!

Archived