C4 Forums | Control4

Anyone have any experience with LaCie?

ILoveC4

It doesnt seem to support dynamic raid re-partitioning like the ReadyNAS, where if you start out with say 5TB total on 1tb disks, and you move to 1.5tb disks, you'll have to back everything up and re-partition it to take advantage of the new space. That was one of the main features that drew me to the readynas.

you can mix and match drives in size most likely, but you wouldnt be able to take advantage of the extra 500gb on the last drive as all the drives will be formatted for the same space.

What the heck is a Pioneer Pro Elite? Haven't heard of that model yet, and I don't see it in the charts or find it in on the price list.

I'm assuming you are really referring to the prepopulated pro units?

the prepopulated units have a better warranty that includes the drives, but you are paying for it in upfront dollars.

The 6 bay units will let you run RAID 6 (2 disks of parity) so you are better protected. You can technically run RAID6 on the 4 bay, but it eats 1/2 the array's capacity.

The Pioneer pro doesn't have the business feature set (iSCSI, AD Integration, Secure Rsync, etc) but it's a great NAS unit for home use. It's based on the Intel Chipset so it's a good deal faster than the other units in the home office lineup.

BTW: ReadyNAS Remote was released today for all the ReadyNAS units. It lets you remotely access a ReadyNAS from a client without requiring a VPN. Neat setup for remote users.

What about the D-link DNS 343? Much more affordable and seems pretty comparable to the ReadyNAS, although Im not sure about the dynamic RAID partitioning. I personally have a ReadyNAS NV+ but only because I got a killer deal on it for $650 including 4 750GB drives.

Archived