C4 Forums | Control4

[Request] - Tips on getting started in the field of automation

2 hours ago, poseidonsystems said:

Congrats Jake on being a dealer! Make sure you get the gear for your home first and spend 50% of your time installing and reinstalling it at your home for about 90 days. That includes controllers, sr260s lights, thermostats, locks, and some speakers with amps. Also, I would make sure you're well versed in the bakpak, over, and the pakedge gear. 

Best of luck!! Welcome to the community. Great choice to go with Control4. 

Hey @poseidonsystems Thanks!

Does that 50% coupon expire after a week? I think i got a voicemail while I was on my Honeymoon but i couldn't hear it well. But i thought i heard someone say that the coupon expired on me.

lol none of this adds up 

7/7/19 - quits job, decides to start HA company. 

Programming (what exactly?) experience. 

Microelectronics experience. Soldering gun?

currently left job was in construction. 

Has network of builders, current business plan is new construction work. 

8/31/19 - Control4 dealer! So in ~6 weeks or so you were able to LLC yourself, get insurance, get in touch with C4, get all that paperwork done, get into a class, pay for all those things, maintain a side business. 

Not to mention go on your HONEYMOON, when was the wedding?

oh and, other industry professionals who you know that for some reason don’t use C4 are going to kick you some business for retro work. 

Not to mention - engineer wife, however live in a town without ANYONE installing c4 around. Sounds like an engineering industry mecca. 

Thinks there is a coupon code that expires in 7 days. 

1 hour ago, knowitall said:

lol none of this adds up 

7/7/19 - quits job, decides to start HA company. 

Programming (what exactly?) experience. 

Microelectronics experience. Soldering gun?

currently left job was in construction. 

Has network of builders, current business plan is new construction work. 

8/31/19 - Control4 dealer! So in ~6 weeks or so you were able to LLC yourself, get insurance, get in touch with C4, get all that paperwork done, get into a class, pay for all those things, maintain a side business. 

Not to mention go on your HONEYMOON, when was the wedding?

oh and, other industry professionals who you know that for some reason don’t use C4 are going to kick you some business for retro work. 

Not to mention - engineer wife, however live in a town without ANYONE installing c4 around. Sounds like an engineering industry mecca. 

Thinks there is a coupon code that expires in 7 days. 

Okay, i know responding to you is going to not be beneficial but Im bored so what the hay:

1. Yes i did quit my job after many months of thinking about doing this, also I own 4 other small businesses so between those and the HA stuff, im making enough to survive. 
  2. One of my side businesses is actually software development. I am fluent in Python, Ruby, PHP and as well Java. 
  3. My electrical engineering wife and I frequently build our own systems like an automatic dog feeder, all of which I design, build, program and implement myself with her helping me with the math. 
  4. Yep! I have been in construction for a few years since i graduated college. I was a Project Manager over roughly $35 Million in total project value. 
  5. Also yep, have a few good friends who are large custom home builders, they have gotten me in with their weekly poker games, lions club, horseshoe league, all of which I am in with other builders. Gotta keep that Rolodex building! 
  6. Already had the LLC, Feel free to look it up on the Texas site :D I knew this is what I wanted to do so I didn't waste time starting the LLC. I've started a few other LLCs before so its not hard or expensive. I just finished my first set of online training and am heading off to the in person training in about 3 weeks.  Just bought my plane tickets today. 
  7. Wedding was two weeks ago! Went on a very nice honeymoon. Was amazing, highly recommend it. 
  8. Also yes, My friends in the industry are HVAC companies who have a very small HA division, they dont pressure it and have offered to kick me some business if I help them the same. 
  9. My Engineer wife works for an electric co-op which means she provides power to rural areas.That being said, yes we live in a town with not a single C4 dealer other than me. The closest dealer is roughly 30 miles away but that is a major metropolis so those guys are busy enough there to not need to come this far out. 
  10. I thought I heard in the voicemail that the coupon code expired, sucks i was on my honeymoon and didn't even realize it would expire. Oh well! Edit: Oh just re-read your message, you were saying that sarcastically. After more research it was actually a coupon for SnapAV that i was thinking about. They give you 50% off your first purchase. 

I hope this cleared some things up for you! I promise im not trying to pull a fast one or start any beef. I am just excited to start doing something im truly passionate about. 

Have a great weekend!

Feel free to PM me if you have any question or would like further clarifications. 

Damn, here in New Jersey and New York control4 requires a real showroom in a commercial building that you must fit out showcasing their products.

It can’t be in a residential location and the sales rep is required to visit it to approve it before you are approved as a dealer. Then they require you to not only have a large opening order but also maintain minimum yearly sales. 

In addition to that , you must send a minimum 2 employees to the 4 day training class out of state. And you cannot just list an existing control4 certified programmer as an employee , you are required to send 2 people to training. 

I wish New Jersey was like Texas and didn’t enforce all of those requirements. You Control4 dealers from Texas have it easy.  

I also forgot , here in the North East, control4 would never allow a business that has not been in the av integration / smart home business that has been selling installing and programming other home automation systems for years. They also verify your accounts with those other suppliers
As they should. All these requirements are important to maintain quality and brand and happy customers. Don't need more people on this forum complaining about poor installs

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

9 hours ago, JakeFromSF said:

Okay, i know responding to you is going to not be beneficial but Im bored so what the hay:

1. Yes i did quit my job after many months of thinking about doing this, also I own 4 other small businesses so between those and the HA stuff, im making enough to survive. 
  2. One of my side businesses is actually software development. I am fluent in Python, Ruby, PHP and as well Java. 
  3. My electrical engineering wife and I frequently build our own systems like an automatic dog feeder, all of which I design, build, program and implement myself with her helping me with the math. 
  4. Yep! I have been in construction for a few years since i graduated college. I was a Project Manager over roughly $35 Million in total project value. 
  5. Also yep, have a few good friends who are large custom home builders, they have gotten me in with their weekly poker games, lions club, horseshoe league, all of which I am in with other builders. Gotta keep that Rolodex building! 
  6. Already had the LLC, Feel free to look it up on the Texas site :D I knew this is what I wanted to do so I didn't waste time starting the LLC. I've started a few other LLCs before so its not hard or expensive. I just finished my first set of online training and am heading off to the in person training in about 3 weeks.  Just bought my plane tickets today. 
  7. Wedding was two weeks ago! Went on a very nice honeymoon. Was amazing, highly recommend it. 
  8. Also yes, My friends in the industry are HVAC companies who have a very small HA division, they dont pressure it and have offered to kick me some business if I help them the same. 
  9. My Engineer wife works for an electric co-op which means she provides power to rural areas.That being said, yes we live in a town with not a single C4 dealer other than me. The closest dealer is roughly 30 miles away but that is a major metropolis so those guys are busy enough there to not need to come this far out. 
  10. I thought I heard in the voicemail that the coupon code expired, sucks i was on my honeymoon and didn't even realize it would expire. Oh well! Edit: Oh just re-read your message, you were saying that sarcastically. After more research it was actually a coupon for SnapAV that i was thinking about. They give you 50% off your first purchase. 

I hope this cleared some things up for you! I promise im not trying to pull a fast one or start any beef. I am just excited to start doing something im truly passionate about. 

Have a great weekend!

Feel free to PM me if you have any question or would like further clarifications. 

Very good, and congrat.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.