C4 Forums | Control4

Version 3 remote malfunctioning

I have a V3 remote (SR -250) that will still control the GUI on my TV but the remote's display just shows "Control 4 Remote" + the incorrect time of day.

No matter which button I press (such as LIST), the display doesn't change.

I have tried rebooting by removing/replacing batteries with no success.

Any suggestions? I'm figuring it is going the way of RMA (ironically my HC500 went RMA last week).

:(

I dropped it off at my dealers's shop this afternoon. It's going back to Control4.

From the sound of the two other posters' issues with the SR-250, it sounds like it is a zigbee issue.

I did not try rebooting my zigbee server (HC500 in my case). Maybe I should have but now it's being shipped back RMA.

That RMA may end up taxing you.

Why? Are you saying that there is nothing wrong with the remote based on the symptoms that I explained above?

My dealer deleted it from my project then added it back and that didn't help. I took out the batteries and replaced them and that didn't help.

So what do you mean by it "may end up taxing" me? How can C4 charge me for an RMA when it clearly was malfunctioning?

Well as I understand the RMA process, if I send a piece back to C4, and they determine that it is clearly NOT a HARDWARE malfunction, then they will charge the dealer for their time, and shipping... and the dealer will then charge you for all that.

That's what I meant... that you should take ALL measures before an RMA, or it may end up COSTING you... is that a better word?

Well as I understand the RMA process, if I send a piece back to C4, and they determine that it is clearly NOT a HARDWARE malfunction, then they will charge the dealer for their time, and shipping... and the dealer will then charge you for all that.

That's what I meant... that you should take ALL measures before an RMA, or it may end up COSTING you... is that a better word?

That's what I thought you meant. I didn't try a reboot of my zigbee server because no other zigbee device in the house was showing any problems and I didn't get that suggestion from anyone until I read a post above but by that time it was too late.

Why? Are you saying that there is nothing wrong with the remote based on the symptoms that I explained above?

My dealer deleted it from my project then added it back and that didn't help. I took out the batteries and replaced them and that didn't help.

So what do you mean by it "may end up taxing" me? How can C4 charge me for an RMA when it clearly was malfunctioning?

I will stick my neck and say you are correct. I had two such remotes go the way yours did and one is back in my home after a little car ride over to my dealer and the other is doing service in someone else's project. Just get a new one from your dealer and let him handle it without you in the picture.

I will stick my neck and say you are correct. I had two such remotes go the way yours did and one is back in my home after a little car ride over to my dealer and the other is doing service in someone else's project. Just get a new one from your dealer and let him handle it without you in the picture.

That's already the plan. Thanks.

The bigger question is why this happens and why did one of your remotes work fine in someone else's project? What is inherently going wrong with the SR-250?

I'm thinking that it is not a good idea to get another one but to simply get another V2 remote which has done very well in my home (I have 4 of them already).

The V2 looks like the V1, but has colored buttons on the botton of the four "Circle of Power" buttons. The SR-250 is much better. I have phased out all my V1 and V2 remotes except one V2 that is left in an area that doesn't get much use.

source.jpg

You know, I love the LCD and the feel of the "v3" better, but there are certain situations in which I prefer the "rugged" qualities (?) of the v2, like out on the deck.

I like that the V3 remote has lighted buttons and a lighted LCD display. It's the best remote for a dark room (a home theatre). But this experience with the V3 and reading the above posts in which others have had the same trouble makes me wonder if there is something inherently defective in this remote that needs to be addressed by Control4.

Not sure what I'll do about getting a replacement.

I haven't seen many posts (or any that I can think of) about the v.3 remote malfunctioning on the internal Control4 Dealer forums, so I don't know how widespread of an issue this is.

I don't doubt that there's an issue there, but I've not seen it myself.

RyanE

The V1 and V2 remotes definately seem more durable. I dropped one of my SR250's onto my bed and it reset itself.

I definately don't take the SR250's outside. That is what the V1's and V2's are for, like codeman said.

I haven't seen many posts (or any that I can think of) about the v.3 remote malfunctioning on the internal Control4 Dealer forums, so I don't know how widespread of an issue this is.

RyanE

If you happen to notice some posts on the confidential dealer forum about the V3 now that we've discussed it here, I would like to know if my problem (and the other two posters above) was an unusually rare occurrence or if this is a known issue that C4 is aware of and addressing.

I will use that information to make a decision about plunking down $200 for a replacement or simply go for a V2 remote to replace my defective V3 which is now in my dealer's shop (and being shipped any day).

Thanks.

Cody correctly pointed out to me that there was a thread on there about it, and one of the suggestions was that maybe that battery contacts were a bit short, so if the remote got joggled around, the battery would momentarily lose contact, and cause it to reset.

One of the dealers spread out the battery contacts a bit, and reported that it did help his particular situation.

This could definitely be a bigger issue on the SR250, as it uses AA's, which have quite a bit more mass than AAA's in the older remotes.

RyanE

Cody correctly pointed out to me that there was a thread on there about it, and one of the suggestions was that maybe that battery contacts were a bit short, so if the remote got joggled around, the battery would momentarily lose contact, and cause it to reset.

One of the dealers spread out the battery contacts a bit, and reported that it did help his particular situation.

This could definitely be a bigger issue on the SR250, as it uses AA's, which have quite a bit more mass than AAA's in the older remotes.

RyanE

Thanks Ryan and Cody. I actually did experience this reset phenomenon a few times but the malfunction that I posted about was something much different. I only wish that the remote did reset correctly but it did not.

My remote lost the ability to update the display from the initial "Control4 Remote" that comes up at boot up(remote's boot up). No matter what I did (or my dealer) it would not change the display. However, the remote continued to work well as a control of the GUI displayed on the TV even while the remote's display was malfunctioning.

Thanks again for the information.

Again, I had exactly the same symptoms you describe and they all went away with one car ride. I wouldn't waste time RMA'ing. A virgin remote will work (trust me)- just beat on your dealer a little.

Archived