C4 Forums | Control4

Lutron wireless switch VS C4 switch

I want to add a wireless dimmer switch to our media room. I don't want to spend the ridiculous amount of money that C4 charges for their switches. I have Lutron shades throughout the home that work via the C4 remote control or the on screen display as well as the Lutron pico remote. Can I just buy a Lutron Caseta Wireless Smart Lighting Dimmer Switch and use that. When I go into the composer software it should pick the new device up as it does with all wireless devices in the house. I could install the device but I would need a dealer to log in and add it to the C4 system. Can that be done?

you probably already have one if your lutron shades are integrated with Control4 already.  otherwise just google it and you'll find them online (not available at your local home depot/Lowe's)

you just need to put it on your network via an ethernet cable.  doesn't need to go in the rack.  its a small device...maybe 3x3 inches wide and 2 inches tall.

It looks like you have Lutron RA2 -  which uses a separate "hub" (the main repeater pictured above) than what Caseta would use.  In order to use Caseta light switches, you would need to get a Caseta Smart Bridge PRO like @chopedogg88 said above.  Once you get the Caseta light switch and Smart Bridge functioning, you need your Control4 dealer to connect the hub and light switch to your Control4 system if you desire to control the light switch from C4.

At this point I would only be doing one but I would not want to limit myself. I can think of a few other areas in the house that I would rather install the less expensive Lutron switch and have someone like you dial in and program it into my C4 system. What would the composer software cost?

4 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

It looks like you have Lutron RA2 -  which uses a separate "hub" (the main repeater pictured above) than what Caseta would use.  In order to use Caseta light switches, you would need to get a Caseta Smart Bridge PRO like @chopedogg88 said above.  Once you get the Caseta light switch and Smart Bridge functioning, you need your Control4 dealer to connect the hub and light switch to your Control4 system if you desire to control the light switch from C4.

If he runs the Caseta SmartBridge Pro, he'll have two Lutron systems running. No problems there, there are 16566 combinations of frequency and "language". SmartBridge Pro and a Caseta dimmer would probably be the cheapest way to go, homeowner installs and programs, integrator adds to C4.

Second option, call your integrator/C4 dealer and see if he does Lutron RadioRA2. Adding a switch or dimmer to that system is easy with the software, and would be and "easier" add to C4.

In all, they are probably going to be about the same money, so I would just ad the RadioRA2 dimmer or a C4 dimmer. They will be about the same price and keep things a little cleaner on the integration side.

3 minutes ago, Shepard said:

At this point I would only be doing one but I would not want to limit myself. I can think of a few other areas in the house that I would rather install the less expensive Lutron switch and have someone like you dial in and program it into my C4 system. What would the composer software cost?

You could also get some RA2 dimmer/switches off of eBay since you already have the proper hub for these.  Check Lutron's website for model numbers.

Caseta vs C4 probably won't save you money until switch 3.

RA and C4 switches are similar in costs.

So it comes down to the range and radio coverage in your home. Since you have 2 RA repeaters, I'll assume a larger home. If you add more Caseta later, will they be in range of one bridge? If you add more C4 will they be in Zigbee range, do you have multiple C4 processors around the house already?

Based on your shades deployment having 2 repeaters, RA is likely your best bet for an as you go solution.

I can sell you some. PM me.

Like RAV said it all depends on the details of where your wireless coverage lies in relation to the switches you want to add.

I would avoid ra2 dimmers because they would need to first be programmed in lutron ra2 software and then in c4.

Composer home edition is $150 but also includes a year of 4sight. However you can't add new devices with home edition. Only a dealer with Composer Pro is able to add devices.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Chopedogg, I pm'd you. Did you get it? I had one more thought. I have a C4 switch in a hallway that I never use. Can I remove that switch and replace the standard toggle switch in my media room with the C4 switch and take the standard one from the Media room and install in back into the hallway. You would need to dial in to change the name of the location from Hallway to Media room. Is this possible?

15 hours ago, Shepard said:

Chopedogg, I pm'd you. Did you get it? I had one more thought. I have a C4 switch in a hallway that I never use. Can I remove that switch and replace the standard toggle switch in my media room with the C4 switch and take the standard one from the Media room and install in back into the hallway. You would need to dial in to change the name of the location from Hallway to Media room. Is this possible?

That sounds like the best scenario, provided you have the Zigbee coverage.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.