C4 Forums | Control4

Checking health of a controller

eggzlot

Is there any way to run diagnostics on an hc800 to see if there are issues?  General statement I’m aware but I’ve had too many random issues

hdmi handshake issues on previously stable items.  Video matrix not changing inputs.  Door and motion sensors reacting several seconds late.  Door station working hit or miss.  Fobs working intermittently.  I added a stronger new antenna to my hc800 and created a second mesh off my hc250 so I should be good and some of these issues like video are non zigbee related.  

Its Labor Day so trying to spare my dealer.  Anyone have ideas I can do own my own?

#1, changing the antenna probably was not a good idea, it's designed to use the original antenna and has one alternative (C4's 3 meter extension)

#2, not really a diagnostic tool. If it's having issues with other devices and speed, then it's likely the programming causing an issue.

You could load up the whole thing on another controller, but performance issues are usually 100% configuration issues with programming.

22 minutes ago, Dunamivora said:

#1, changing the antenna probably was not a good idea, it's designed to use the original antenna and has one alternative (C4's 3 meter extension)

#2, not really a diagnostic tool. If it's having issues with other devices and speed, then it's likely the programming causing an issue.

You could load up the whole thing on another controller, but performance issues are usually 100% configuration issues with programming.

#1 - I am using the 3m extension sold by C4

#2 - could a user or dealer see if some programming is causing a bad loop or something?

with a PC you can check resources being used etc and check hard drive diagnostics etc.  wondering if that is possible with a controller. 

Ah, that extension should be fine then.

I know Composer Pro has a diagnostics window to see usage of the RAM, Disk space, and CPU.

Other than that all of the info can be found on the system itself since it runs a version of Linux. I use Putty and connect to mine every once in a while with SSH.

2 hours ago, eggzlot said:

#1 - I am using the 3m extension sold by C4

#2 - could a user or dealer see if some programming is causing a bad loop or something?

with a PC you can check resources being used etc and check hard drive diagnostics etc.  wondering if that is possible with a controller. 

I seem to recall that you can do this by accessing the controller by typing its IP address in on a web interface.  Default password is the usual one (I.e. the same as for a DS2).

Not sure us end users are supposed to access the controller this way... but it is fun to look! I guess, just be careful!

4 hours ago, Dunamivora said:

If the installer set a project password, then it would be that password.

The Web UI is only on 2.10 and newer.

2.9.1 and lower have a webpage, but it's not useful.

My original dealer must have set a password and never told me.  I am on 2.10.4.  Could my new dealer easily find that password or am I SOL?

10 minutes ago, dcovach said:

A network reset also resets the password but the user name is root and default password is t0talc0ntr0l4! (even after a network reset).

Thanks it worked!  Now to poke around to see if anything seems amiss.  Anything to look for in particular?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.