C4 Forums | Control4

WTB: new or used Araknis or Ubiquiti router, WAP, switch

jebt2921

Looking to upgrade network. 3700 sq ft, two floor home

Currently have 24 port unmanaged araknis switch as main lighting up all cat5e outlets and two 5 port switches behind a couple TVs with Linksys Velop 3 node system for WiFi.

Looking to upgrade to all arakanis or Ubiquiti gear. Below is what I’m thinking. Please comment or send pricing if available:

Aranknis:

Router - 310 (or is 300 plenty?)

Switch - 210 16 or 24 port

WAP - 810 x3 (is this overkill??)

Ubiquiti:

Router - security gateway with cloud key

Switch - 60 or 120w 16 or 24 port

WAP - AC pro x2 and In-Wall HD (x1 or x2)

Any thoughts, pricing, etc would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

No issues here.  Mikrotik routing, UBNT WAP and switches.

Likely because the Mikrotik routes multicast correctly. We used to use Mikrotik extensively, but the Araknis OVRC is so compelling. I would encourage the OP to go with Araknis only or Araknis with Uniif WAPs. The latter combo works well and the WAPs are reasonably priced.

Just now, AK1 said:

Likely because the Mikrotik routes multicast correctly. We used to use Mikrotik extensively, but the Araknis OVRC is so compelling. I would encourage the OP to go with Araknis,

Perhaps, yeah.  I also think a lot of the problems that people talk about here related to networking are because the user (or dealer) lacks a fundamental understanding of networking in general.   Not to say there aren't some problems with the UBNT kit with C4, but..

3 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

Perhaps, yeah.  I also think a lot of the problems that people talk about here related to networking are because the user (or dealer) lacks a fundamental understanding of networking in general.   Not to say there aren't some problems with the UBNT kit with C4, but..

That may be true for some dealers and users, but I know from first hand experience, deep networking expertise and several deep dives into Unifi that it's not for the faint-hearted homeowner with Control4. It can take a lot of time and patience to get it to work, and the return on that effort is usually not there. Araknis is dead-easy by comparison

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.