C4 Forums | Control4

DS2-Mini Video Brightness Fluctuations

Don Cohen

I have a DS2-Mini at my Front door, programmed to send a snapshot via email when motion is detected in a small area near the steps, above a certain threshold, at certain times of day.  Works well.

But lately, after sunset, I am getting many false positives, and reviewing the video recording (Luma NVR), the camera is appropriately in night mode, but there are frequent, marked fluctuations in the image's brightness, which is being mistaken as motion.

I've attached a clip that shows what is going on.  No lights are going on or off in or around my house, to the best of my knowledge.

I have checked in the DS2's Web Interface, and don't see any setting that would adjust this type of sensitivity.

Any ideas on what is causing this?  I received over 10 emails from 7:25 to 7:30 pm last night, and at least a few the prior nights.  Any way to alter this behavior?

And for what it's worth, the night mode in my Luma 510 Bullet cameras is far superior to the DS2-Mini's, but I guess that's just the nature of the beast.

Thanks.

Edited to Add:

The Uploaded MP4 won't seem to play, so here's a link to the file in Google Drive:

MP4 File for DS2-Mini

Sun light is causing the fluctuations.

Unless you’re using an actual motion sensor hooked up to the DS2, the DS2 uses pixel changes as the means for motion.

Sunlight drawing away and causing shadows to creep up would certainly be seen as a motion event.

May want to invest in a separate motion sensor if you want to work around this problem.  Note that most IP cams have the same behavior.

2 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Sun light is causing the fluctuations.

Unless you’re using an actual motion sensor hooked up to the DS2, the DS2 uses pixel changes as the means for motion.

Sunlight drawing away and causing shadows to creep up would certainly be seen as a motion event.

May want to invest in a separate motion sensor if you want to work around this problem.  Note that most IP cams have the same behavior.

Thanks for the reply.

During the day, I do see that type of fluctuation, and since that door faces east, I have disabled the motion sensor alerts until early afternoon, as this also generates many false positives.

But this is well after sunset, so there is no sunlight. Have a look at the clip, and you'll see it to be in night mode.

Could this be a defective DS2-Mini?

The other issue I have with it is having intermittent, but frequent "Poor Connection. Continuing with Audio. Video will return when the connection improves" message during Intercom calls to it, from either my T3, or my Note 8 (using WiFi or cellular).  I've uploaded phone screen captures, including one showing real-time connection data.

This is despite having strong WiFi and/or Cellular connections, and the DS2 connected by POE to an Araknis switch.  I had a long troubleshooting session with Control4, including a Team Viewer session where they could directly have a look around, and there were no configuration errors.  They suspected a hardware issue.

Thanks.

2019-07-08 08.13.41.jpg

2019-10-02 13.44.07.jpg

Is the DS2 set to outdoor or indoor?

If already on outdoor, try using hte outdoor (highlight compensation) setting

Lastly, the motion threshold setting is what you're looking for to try and prevent false positives due to light, though I suspect that isn't your issue here.

6 hours ago, Cyknight said:

Is the DS2 set to outdoor or indoor?

If already on outdoor, try using hte outdoor (highlight compensation) setting

Lastly, the motion threshold setting is what you're looking for to try and prevent false positives due to light, though I suspect that isn't your issue here.

There are 2 options to set:

Camera Mode, with 5 Options: Indoor (Auto), Indoor 50Hz, Indoor 60Hz, Outdoor, Outdoor with Highlight Compensation

Day/Night Mode, with 3 Options: Auto, Always Day, Always Night

I currently have Camera Mode set to Outdoor with Highlight Compensation (because in the morning direct sunlight throws off the exposure), and Day/Night Mode set to Auto.

I'm now wondering if it's having trouble 'deciding' on Day vs Night mode, not too long after sunset, with these fluctuations being the result (as ILoveC4 was alluding to).

I may play around with different combinations of these 2 settings, and see if this improves things.  If not, it might be defective and needing replacement.

On 10/16/2019 at 9:35 AM, Don Cohen said:

Thanks for the reply.

During the day, I do see that type of fluctuation, and since that door faces east, I have disabled the motion sensor alerts until early afternoon, as this also generates many false positives.

But this is well after sunset, so there is no sunlight. Have a look at the clip, and you'll see it to be in night mode.

Didn't watch your video originally, but just did now.

I'd agree that there may be a hardware problem.  The IR fluctuating like that definitely isn't normal.

Have you sent this video over to tech support??

1 minute ago, lippavisual said:

Didn't watch your video originally, but just did now.

I'd agree that there may be a hardware problem.  The IR fluctuating like that definitely isn't normal.

Have you sent this video over to tech support??

Thanks for the reply.  I haven't yet, but that's a good idea - I'll see what they have to say.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.