C4 Forums | Control4

Aeotec Recessed Door Sensor Gen5 any good?

Waring192

Question

Just wondering what they are like when the Z-Wave module etc is added to the EA3? Are they reliable etc?

I suppose you can check if any doors are open in the house etc at any time but if I added window sensors would you be able to create something in C4 to ‘Arm’ the house via touch panel etc when leaving so it would be like an alarm system with an alert to our phones and even a alarm sound in/outside the house?

Lastly, how much is the Z-Wave module etc? I do have a Aeotec USB stick from when I used to use a Raspberry Pi setup but I don’t think you can just plug the Aeotec USB stick into the controller can you?

Cheers

1 answer to this question

1 hour ago, Waring192 said:

but I don’t think you can just plug the Aeotec USB stick into the controller can you

No, you cannot

ust wondering what they are like when the Z-Wave module etc is added to the EA3? Are they reliable etc?

Can't comment on the device specifically (not even sure it's supported - C4's list of compatible devices is limited) but Control4's Zwave setup in general is rock solid

but if I added window sensors would you be able to create something in C4 to ‘Arm’ the house via touch panel etc when leaving so it would be like an alarm system with an alert to our phones and even a alarm sound in/outside the house?

Must stress that you should NEVER do this as a life-saving device, nor can it be seen as a replacement for a true monitored security system.

Hover, yes there would be ways.

Asll you would really do is add a variable that you set to true or false with a generic experience button to change it.

From there, whatever programming you want ot execute when away just uses that variable :

WHEN contact opens

IF variable 'armed' is true

---do your thing

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.