C4 Forums | Control4

Video Files on External Drive

CFUG

I have seen it in action. That functionality is the whole reason my dealer started selling them. He didn't feel comfortable teaching people to do it "the other way" because of liability concerns (understandable). I have not seen the BlueRay in action, but I am sure he told me it will do that. I know for a fact you can put a DVD in the drive and it will "back it up" and add it to your C4 library.

It is really cool, but not worth the $$$ IMO.

I don't buy disc media anymore so no need for over-priced black boxes. The Netgear did sound about right for the times until the internet reviews killed that for me. I guess I'll stick to my WiFi streamer into a local display.

Well if you dont mind not having coverart on your touchpanels and dont mind having a relatively crappy GUI you could use a Popcorn Hour A-110, or wait for the new C-200 which should be released this month and may have a nicer GUI.

I hate to beat this topic to death and there are many other threads about routing video files through C4, but it sounds like a consolidated thread on the topic is needed. At least, can some of you help to list the current solutions/hacks to this end?

Just as an example:

1. XBMC

2. Apple TV

3. PCH

4. EVA9150

From there people can search on the method to see if it is right for them. I still think one thread for all is better, at least until we see a C4 solution. Simple pros/cons responses within the thread will keep it clean. We do this all the time in the tuner-car forums.

I have read some people griping about the EVA9150 and it's limited video playback abilities (videos have to be formatted right), but this have never been a problem for me. I just found out the best way (for the EVA9150 to play them) to do DVD and the best way to do BlueRay (very easy I might add) and that is the format's I have used. I have never had one once of problem with it, other than twice it froze and required a reboot. This happened when I was blazing through the supervisor settings and not giving it time to save the changes, getting impatient and doing continual key presses. If I slow down to a normal speed of browsing it's GUI, all is fine. I suspect the reason it has hung both those times have to do with the fact that it was IP control and not the native remote and IR.

• 2 months later...

with a C-200 or any PCH, you would have to manually select the move in the PCH rather than the EVA9150 where you can select from the C4 GUI right? EVA has such terrible support for HD Audio and file formats, just thought I would ask that stupid question to confirm.

Archived